225 Locating earthing points

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Toby85, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Hi all,

Just tried to put a fresh MOT on the 225 to sell and it failed on the rear sidelights dimming when the indicators are on. Most likely an earthing fault right?

If so, which earths should I be checking which would affect both sides? I had a look behind the n/s rear light cluster and lifted the carpet from the sides of the boot but couldn’t find any earths, looks like the looms disappear forwards towards the front of the car.

Any ideas or does anyone have a schematic?

Thanks in advance,

Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. My brake lights went weird with the rear indicators. Thought it must be an earth so took the lights out and was surprised to see that the light internals were all metal busbars rather than wires so no chance of causing a short. In the end just cleaning the contact points on the bulbs themselves sorted my issue. Might be worth a look before you go delving.

3. Thanks for this. Inside the back lights is like new. I think there is a high resistance between body and battery somewhere, - I measured over 4 ohms! I’m going to add another earth bond between the two and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ_RSport likes this.
  4. Just to update on this, if anybody has the same thing - it was the ground pin in the rear light connector plugs, they had deteriorated and no longer made clean contact. I added a second ground connector from the bus rail inside the lamp and ran it down to a ground point inside the boot, there is one each side under the boot hatch behind the carpet.

Sorted!

Si271 likes this.