R26 Limited slip differential: GKN Driveline, Quaife, RSX or .....

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by dodottiR26, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Hello friends, I'm undecided whether to change the limited slip differential to my R26 because the track with the second gear out of the corners the inside wheel skates too, in the curves of the third or fourth gear instead is perfect. Now I'm undecided whether to take a Quaife ATB or I have raved about the limited slip differential which produces the RSX. Give me your advice and impressions

2. Gripper plate diff with the correct oil, stickier tyres may also help

3. Hello Steve, as oil until now I used the original file Renault 75W80, but now I want to try the Royal Purple Max Gear 75W90. Toyo R888 tires 235/40 R18

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Drexler.

If i ever decide to upgrade the diff in mine, Which chances are i will eventually as the stock unit has its flaws, it will be a Drexler unit that goes in.

5. I'm gonna be going gripper, mabey even get it ordered soon!
    plated is suited better for pure track use

6. is this is a real difference, but I would understand if you like Quaife ATB that needs no maintenance or periodic revisions are necessary

7. NJH

NJH

Your problem is with the type of differential. Putting ATBs on FWD cars is a great idea to help the car turn as they put the torque to the wheel with the most load on it which is the outside wheel in the early part of a corner. However this type of differential has a flaw in that when the inside wheel becomes unloaded they can end up spinning away all the power through that wheel just as an open differential does. Wavetrac claim to get over this problem but it seems pretty much all serious racers use some form of traditional LSD with the friction disks, its also why all RWD racers I know of also use a traditional LSD because in cars like my own 944 S2 racer its the inside wheel lifting and spinning away the power in slow corners that is the problem to solve.

Downside however is understeer, I had a special rebuilt ZF unit in that car at one time that had crazy levels of preload. It was a stupid idea as the car just didn't want to turn, couldn't get round the end of the pit lane at Brands Hatch for example without scrabbling the front wheels. It was also very very snappy on the limit, but incredible traction up to that point. The car probably would have been OK though if we altered the suspension geometry and spring rates to suit but this is not simple, it took me 2 to 3 years to get the cars setup as it is now. Braking stability was also incredible but my big learning experience from all that was that an effective LSD will require extensive changes to the rest of the cars set up which in turn can take a considerable amount of time and money to get right. That car currently doesn't have an LSD so it spins up the inside wheel at maybe one corner on most UK circuits but it has amazing handling everywhere else, 1.5g at 55 mph for example. Think long and hard about doing it as these are not simple bolt on type modifications to do.

8. NHJ Hello, first of all congratulations to the 944, the car amazing !!! Then I wanted to thank you for your great speech. From what I've read a lot of experience on the track. I accept advice from everyone also because I see that in this forum all more or less have a lot of experience. so I would like to ask you what do you advise me to do. To me the Gripper Plate looks like a great differential. Hello.

9. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Dodotti
    I fitted the Quaiffe ATB to my 225, seams to work well, i had nothing to compare it too as i never used the car on a track before the diff was fitted.
    I have done a few track days with it fitted and i have not noticed the traction control light flashing powering out of corners so i presume its working well

Ian

10. Hello in plymouth, I'm glad to hear this, but you track laps with the traction control was added? Have you tried other differences? That shock you? Hello

11. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

You cant turn the traction control off on the 225, resets at 30 mph.
    I am running BC coil overs set up 8/8kg fronts and rear

12. ok, thanks information