LED Brake Bulb Wont Light Up

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Kaizasouza, Jun 10, 2020.

1. I have a 2011 Megane RS Coupe and bought some LED Rear Stop/Tail light bulbs for that extra brightness. The problem is when the brake pedal is pressed the brake light doesn't come on when the main lights are off and when the lights are switched on the light comes on but doesn't get any brighter when the brake pedal is pressed.

I tried looking at some of the previous posts, however nothing clear. So my apologises if this is a question that has already been answered. Ive tired 2 different set of LED bulbs, still doesn't work.

Any solution to the problem or do i sadly have to go back to the original OEM bulbs?

2. need put 100w 8ohm resistor across brake live wire and earth

3. Hi Bobsan, thank for the reply. I guess il need to i'll need to do that on both side right?

4. That resistor is perfect and yes need one each side car so 2 resistors. There is one more requirement and that’s the correct LED unit, I’d have to go measure the impedance of mine as either the CAN bus unit is the one or one without CAN sadly only one works and can’t remember which

5. Thank you. Here is the recent bulbs i bought,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DN893SV/?tag=rsmeg-21
    Let me know if you can if this is ok?

6. Tex

Tex

Do these not get really hot?

7. The Bulbs or the resistors?
    If its the Bulbs, i couldn't tell you as i haven't installed them yet, however id imagine no hotter than normal bulbs.

8. Tex

Tex

The resistors tend to get very hot, be careful

Kaizasouza likes this.
  9. 50W for indicator and 100W for brake light, mounted to metal body help dissipate heat, works really well but if was doing again would use 2x 100W
    The 100W doesn’t get as hot but still best not keep foot resting on brake pedal for extended period

Attached Files:

Kaizasouza likes this.

10. Bobsan thank you for your advice and the pic which is a huge help. I will try this tomorrow. Ive uploaded a image of the bulbs im using. Are they ok?

11. To turn on the light bulb I believe no resistor is needed. The resistor serves only so that no error appears on the board. The problem with no name Chinese bulbs is the small difference in light intensity when activating the brake . if we are talking about a light bulb P21/5W LED.
    I tried a bunch of no name bulbs. I ended up buying this

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/11499XURX2/x-tremeultinon-led-gen2-car-signalling-bulb.

They are much better than ordinary light bulbs. The lights look better because of the red color, which is more intense than on a regular light bulb. Yes, and most importantly when braking, you can clearly see twice as much light

Kaizasouza likes this.
  12. on the mk3 megane when side light is activated there's for some reason voltage appearing on brake light circuit as well, not enough to illuminate an incandescent bulb but certainly enough to illuminate the brake side of the LED unit hence the resistor to soak up this stray voltage

13. also the impedance of the dual circuit LED you choose to replace reg 21/5 bulb seems to matter as well, some are LO imp others are HI imp

14. These are the bulbs that i have already. I will try the Philips ones that Filo mentioned. If they dont work i will get going on these.

Attached Files:

15. Hi Filo, thank you for the reply and the recommendation. I have ordered these bulbs and will see if they work. Both yourself and bobs have been a huge help. Thank you.

16. afraid its bit of a lottery with LED bulbs some seem to work better than others

17. How exactly did you accomplish adding these extra LED lights to your taillight? You may have made wiring errors, causing the dash computer to be unable to allocate the moments when the extra lights should come on.

18. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

19. Try removing the entire addition, and do it all over again with good quality and correct instructions. If you keep making mistakes, you better ask some proper questions to a professional electrician and so on. I like my lights to be very bright and noticeable, especially on the taillights. I bought LED strips at vont.com and installed them from a youtube video guide. In our state, fog and rain are common, so strong taillights are essential to the car.