Launch Control

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by -Chris-, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Due to curiosity, I've been searching the forum for info on remaps. During my browsing I've noticed that RSTuning can add Launch Control to the mapping.

Whats the score then. Who's had it done and other than being able to launch from standstill quicker what's the finer details? ie how does it work, will it trash the clutch, is there any point etc?

Satisfy my curiosity please.

2. I would imagine they are just somehow enabling the revs to hold at say 4k when your flooring the accelerator in gear with the clutch down.

Can't imagine it's worth it and it's not really a car you need to get off the line that quick, it's not one of those cars is it.

3. FWD cars aren't great at launching off the line - as above I wouldn't bother.

Clutch and driveshafts will take a hammering and they aren't the strongest to begin with.

I think the Mk4 Clio RS have this from new but include a counter that will only allow 1500 launches :confused:

4. it builds up the pressure in the turbo in a way you cant even if holding it at redline before launch

5. What Milos said. It's not really much use on FWD cars running road tyres. Sounds epic though :cool:

6. Ovy

Ovy

ive got LC on mine used it a few times if you catch it right it well improves your 0 to 60 and great for 1/4 mile . It doesn't cost any more or less when mapping so why not have it even if you don't ever use it.

7. If you want launch control, I recomand you this:

http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

It works even if Renault is not in that list (they don't have it in US, that's all). Good part with this box is that you can tune your launch rpm everytime you need it based on how much grip you have. If you do it in a tune, the rpm will be the same all the time. And believe me, it will be either too high, either too low based on temp and tires and how much tires you still have.

The box also gives you flat foot shifting if you dare >:smile:

S.

8. OMG that does look like an amazing little piece of kit!, maybe once my gearbox has a little more mileage on it lol

9. Megane 250's already have the LC feature inside the ECU but its dormant, just requires after market mapping to utilise it.

Drive shafts go when they go, and so will the clutch with the newly added torque anyway. Don't abuse it and you'll be ok, you could still kill the mentioned parts without LC easily. Just requires some mechanical sympathy!

10. So how is it activated then, after remap I mean???

11. Clutch depressed, 1st gear and deck the throttle.

12. Flat foot shifting uses the same/similar limits with in the map as launch control. It Basically limits the rpm to a pre set value so when you press the clutch to change up a gear you can keep your foot hard down on the throttle and it keeps the revs from raising too high. I had it set up on my mps and once I had the limits set to my liking it was good. However it is very hard on the clutch if not dialled in. Also the novelty soon wares off and you forget you even have it.