250 Lambda type - zirconium or titanium?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Zoto, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Would appreciate comments on the stock lambda on an RS250 - is it zirconium (0-1v output) or titanium (resistance change) technology?? Renault wiring schematic shows a "variable resistor"??

The reason for my question is that as an interim solution (prior to extra bung on a new downpipe) I plan to use a Spartan 3 Elite wideband O2 sensor in place of the stock lambda (in the existing bung), and feed the engine ECU with the 0-1V narrow band output (PWM signal) the Spartan 3 gives you. This will only work if the stock lamda is a zirconium type.

2. Mk2 meg is 0-1v, i believe mk3 is similar narrowband. Will easily be able to tell on diagnostics looking at the lambda voltage.

I took the easier option and run my w/b o2 sensor in the downstream lambda hole, however i run decat/mapped out downstream sensor.

3. Thanks for the reply Brigsy - appreciated.

From what I understand they (Zirconium & Titanium) lamda's will both show the 0-1V on ODB

The zirconium probe actually gives out 0-1V from the cell, however for the titanium probe you get the 0-1V across the probe by way of resistance divider circuit - ie ECU puts out an accurate voltage that will give you a voltage drop across the varying resistance of the titanium probe between 0-1V.

I'm keen to be 100% sure that the RS250 is using the 0-1V generated by the probe (ie Zirconium) so I don't damage my ECU, when connecting up Spartan 3 NB simulated output - the uncertainty I have is because the Renault schematic (attached) shows the lambda probe as variable resistor (devices 887 and 242).

This morning I actually measured lamda probe after the car was up to temp, and got around 0.32V (using rms digital multimeter) so sounds about right. Also was 0V when cold. So I'm 95% sure I'll be ok connecting the Spartan. In any case I might start with it in the post cat bung and see how it goes - not so much of an issue if this ECU input is fried - also for WOT runs (so in open loop control) they say error pre & post cat O2 measurements is only 2-3%. It will be interesting to check.

Attached Files:

Brigsy likes this.
  4. Interesting, keep us updated on findings