KW V3 v Clubsport

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by ~Shaun~, Dec 7, 2015.

1. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Evening everybody, newby here from Dorset,

Peoples opinions on the above please, I've had a V3 suspension in the past on my old 300bhp Mk1 Focus RS, and it was amazing, is the Clubsport worth the extra £500 ish extra money ?

I currently have a Clio 200 but will be buying a 250 Cup very soon, and plan at least 2x trips to the Ring next year, my car will be mainly used for track days, but I will also be using it on the road.

I know the Clubsport was developed at the Ring and I'm leaning towards buying that, but as I've mentioned any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. I went for clubsports over the v3. Better damping, spring rate, adjustability and of course adjustable top mounts. All that on a car that was made for going around bends for me.is worth the extra money amd I love mine

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The adjustable top mounts would be the main reason i would get the Clubsports over the V3's.

Saying that i would bet that 99% off people on here wouldn't really know or notice the difference between the two

4. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Thanks for the replies guys, both versions are amazing, but I feel I'll get the Clubsports, they are silly money though lol.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They arn't that silly TBH, I can get them for just over 1.5k. Much better than what Ktec charge.

6. Is that you personally or a website?

7. I'd go for the Clubsports purely for the Top Mounts.

When they're set-up properly they're much kinder to your tyres on track.

I've never experienced KW Clubsports but you really felt the difference with solid top mounts with the AST Suspension I had on my 197 Cup.
    They can be pretty harsh on the road though and you need to keep an eye on the top mount bearings if its mainly road use. Saying that you'll hear them knocking if they're on their way out.

8. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Cheapest Ive seen is £1750, any links to cheaper prices would be great, I've scanned EBay Germany thinking I'd get a bargain, but no, they are no different price wise to over here which I was surprised about really.

thanks for the other replies guys

9. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

LOL, I'd expect the number to be higher than that.

10. Only problem with the Clubsports is that once they are in place, you cant adjust them. Unless you cut a section out of the turret.Also the grub screws for keeping the collars in place are shit.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Flol! I went for Bilstein B14 for now as they will suit what I want at the moment. Might upgrade later on but the Billies are brilliant on the road and stiff enough over the stock setup to benefit on track.

Plus they only cost a little more than new oem stuff

12. I bought my Clubsports & PFC 2 piece discs from them. They had an offer on at the time.

13. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

What sort of price did you pay please bud, if you don't mind me asking ?

14. They were & still are 1907 euros, which with the exchange rate is just over £1400.

15. Johnson

Johnson Banned

I would go with the AST 5100 suspension kit over the kW clubsports on a mk3

16. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Thanks for your input bud, how much are they and what are your reasons for saying that ?

I'll be buying a 250 cup within the next month and my first upgrade will be the suspension.

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Can i just add to this, Mainly to counter the post above. OEM setup really is brilliant. Ive ran mine for 3 years on it and done a lot of trackdays inc Spa and the Ring and it was more that capable, Plus you didn't loose the compliance for road use. I only upgraded to something a bit more focused as the Bilsteins were only a little more than what new OEM dampers were going to cost me.

People seem to keen to jump straight in and upgrade stuff straight away without actually learning how to drive the car properly.

18. Johnson

Johnson Banned

The problem with the bilsteins is you can't adjust camber which is what drastically improves the car so they're a bit of a waste of time for me. The clubsports and AST are both quality kit.

19. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

A fairly condescending reply, considering you actually know nothing about me !, let me fill you in a bit, I've been driving for over 30 years, owned many performance cars and done hundreds of track miles, have you ever had either of the suspensions fitted what this thread is actually asking about ?

there's no denying the standard set up is more than capable of handling track days, but there's always room for improvement, my question was for people's opinions on the V3 v Clubsport, not for your opinion on my driving ability or justifying why you decided to buy one of the lower end of the market coilovers options.

Thanks for for all the positive feedback I've received on this thread and I will take all of that on board.

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not trying to be condescending at all, I would urge people to try the oem setup first before splashing big bucks.

Fwiw you can run AST adjustable topmounts on the bilsteins which give you your camber adjustment and is what I'll be getting after winter

21. For me the clubsports on their "out the box" settings where still a little soft for track so being able to simply adjust the bump, rebound is why I went adjustable. I will say that the to mount design on mk3 is poor and requires dropping the whole arm to adjust if you don't get it right 1St time. Cam you cut a larger whole out the strut? Who knows. But I went kw clubsports because 90% of the fastest meganes on nurburgring run them and to me the Nordschleife is basically a UK B road

22. Johnson

Johnson Banned

How can you mate ast topmounts to bilstein struts ? The AST will be different diameter strut so how you going to fit the bearing? and Spring different size all together? Without serious modification/adaptors I can't see it. Also you can't get much camber with the big bilstein springs fitted they are to close to the car body.

23. Johnson

Johnson Banned

Odinson you can cut a bigger hole in the top of the mk3 towers

24. mie

mie

AST top mounts made to fit OEM springs and struts, right?
    And Bilstein B12 made to fit OEM top mounts, so AST top mounts will fit B12 100%.
    AST has two options of top mounts one for coilovers, one for OEM suspension.
    This one for OEM spring diameter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  25. How safe is doing that though?

26. Johnson

Johnson Banned

Will let you know soon when I cut mine haha

27. mie

mie

You will be safe...)
    d812bab75f0302fc635e648890c58dfb.jpg
    de79e6656ac34c969800fab2e2db8fff.jpg

28. Johnson

Johnson Banned

Great :cool:

29. Thanks

30. I've gone for what I want the KW Variant 3's around £1,300.

For fast road 80% of time and track 20% I've opted not going the Clubsport route. If I go full on at later date I probably won't be going KW anyway and want to learn more about the car first anyway.

Just wondering what suspension set ups' everyone runs anyway. I was going to get KTec to dial in what they think will be good for fast road / track to begin with.

31. What about Mark Fish Motorsport?
    He's Essex based I think

32. NJH

NJH

Biggest difference is that V3 is a twin tube damper with a bypass valve to try and produce a nicer ride quality. AFAIK all the Clubsports are monotube dampers. That is enough of a reason for me to discount V3 against Clubsport, AST, Nitron etc. etc.

33. My clubsports are set up pretty stiff and they are still perfectly comfortable

34. Pretty sure the clubsports are twin-tube also, se here about half way down the page:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/06/ask-the-expert-kw-answers-your-questions/

they're quite coy with their marketing (or lack there of) around them being mono or twin tube.

35. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Thats about the going rate for them if you get them from the Continent, I was looking at just a little over that for a set before i got the cheap Bilsteins

36. is it possible to get adjustable top mounts for V3 KW ?