225 Knocking sound from front

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Jaffa, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Piece of cardboard under each wheel and you will be able to turn the wheels easier. You might be able to turn the wheel with the window open and you standing outside

2. Thanks for the cardboard suggestion, Mr Spoon. Not sure if there was meant to be more to your message?
    I’m still currently thinking it’s a problem somewhere with a steering link/component.

3. Yes it's not very clear.

If you put your funny wheels on cardboard, you can get out of the car with the success window open and easily turn the wheel in a rocking motion to see if you can hear or see something

4. Thanks - worth a try. Conundrum is: steering doesn’t actually create the noise, it just happens only in a straight line, but will give it a go.

5. It's always worth ruling these things out.

6. My 250 Megan also has this knocking noise ,which you can hear when slowly going forward.

7. The Megan 250 is still on its original swivel hubs,at 38 k and the car being 9 years old, So I thought the knocking was likely to be play in the lower hubs.

8. The knocking noise ,from my Megane 250 ,is exactly as described previously by Enagem,earlier on ,it sounds like it is coming from the steering module,just inside of the bulkhead. BUT ,is that noise just being transmitted through the steering column and rack ,it could simply be worn swivel hubs,or less likely , a wheel bearing. The swivel hub ,as I understand ,is prone to wear out before all the other joints,and wheel bearing, due to it coroding,particularly if the car is not used frequently , Like my car,it is used infrequently.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong,
    Swivel hubs ??