R26 Knocking noise - help

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Nunez20, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Noticed this driving to work today, car has a knocking noise from the front part of the engine, hard to hear on idle but once you rev it gets progressively worse. Listened to the engine with a friend revving the engine and it sounds like its coming from the alternator but hard to tell really. Got a screw driver to listen to the alternator and it sounds like a bearing could be making the noise but again not really sure.

Going to try get it to a garage today but any ideas what it could be.

If it is the alternator I looked online and they are mega expensive and I assume not cheap to install, is there a best place to get one?

2. I got the sam noice, only when i rev it hard for more tha 5 mins. Going to change poley and pump water today to c if it got sorted

3. got RS tuning to take a look and they said its the aux belt that has the problem and it needs changing and I should not drive the car if it can be helped. Getting the train to work tomorrow and they can fix it on Monday.

4. Just change belts and poleys, problem solved

5. an update in case any one else has this. The aux belt was in very bad shape and could have gone at any time, booked it back in to inspect the timing belt as they said it was strange for it to go so soon , only recently got the car and the belts got changed as per the book 2 years ago but it makes me worry about the work actually carried out previously. I really hope the timing belt is good as that will be an expense I cant really afford.

6. I got 5 years with both belts one poley was starting to fail, and it was making the weeeee noise