Knock when moving off

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by moono16v, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Morning all. I know I had a little play in my neaside ball joints as I always ask my mechanic to thoroughly check suspension every service as I like it in tip top condition.

He said last year that there was slight play but not much. Yet this morning I have noticed that when I set off I hear a bit of a knock on the front passenger side. Could this be the ball joint on the way out? Sometimes on coming to a stop I also hear it.

In addition I feel that I hear a slight and only slight knock from the rear which I think could be bushes?!

Anyone got any info?

Thanks Elliott.

2. Is it worse when turning left or right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I don't know in all honesty. I'm in work till 7 then I shall listen all way home :smile:

4. I have been monitoring it and I find it's mainly in a straight line when coming to a stop it knocks and the odd time when I set off it knocks.

It sometimes feels like it's literally under my feet or behind the pedals....could that be a mount?

It definatly knocks on the left suspension side over bumps though!

Any help?

5. Anyone?

6. I'd be looking at possible the dogbone / gearbox mount - try setting off quite vigorously and see if it knocks if so it could be a mount - or holding the gearstick while braking / accelerating to see if it moves a lot

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

7. Thank you. I shall try that on way to pageant of power tomorrow. I shall report back.

jjones82 likes this.
  8. Did you sort out the problem? I am having the same issue now. Can hear it clearly when pulling away slowly, it's like 1 to 3 knocks especially when releasing the clutch pedal slowly without throttle. Then after immediately braking I can hear it also. I think the noise comes from the passenger towards the centre side.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

9. Ball joint. I had this a few weeks ago. There was slight play and as the OP stated, it knocked when pulling off and stopping. They are simple to swap out. @Markblack@MRS did mine though as i had other work done at the same time. They are the Renault Laguna ones and are only £15-20 each if i recall

10. Is it the lower ball joint on the swivel? I do not hear the noise when pulling to the right or left.. Only when going straight..

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

11. I'm getting the same thing at the minute but really can't tell where its coming from. Sounds like the rear but then front on a diiferent occasion. Weird. It's same as you, 3 knocks in succession. Car feels 100% in driving terms

12. If its 3 knocks in succession only when pulling away after start up, it could be the abs self test, bit of a muffled type knock.

13. Every time you pull away though?

14. No, only once after you start the car and pull away first time.
    But yours does sounds more like ball joint/early signs of swivel joint.
    In my experience they tend to knock slightly first then get noisy when steering. But it's not always the case.

15. ...All ball joints changed this year

16. I would get drop links,anti-rotation links, mounts, wishbone, subframe, driveshaft nuts, etc etc all checked as well.even a torque check may show something.
    Ball joints, do mean the swivel joints? Or the ball joint on the lower wishbone?

17. Upper and lower ball joints changed. All links changed as well as inner/outer track rods. Top mounts changed. Suspension. Everything really bar engine mounts and driveshafts

18. Hi, does the abs sound like this?

Knock is only on set off with lock on and has only done this in the last 4 weeks

19. What pads are you running? If they are fast road/race they might be slightly smaller than std to allow for expansion when being used in battle. My CL RC6 pads clunked all the time

20. Just the genuine Renault ones.

Car has been to my local Renault dealer who can hear it but can't work out what it is, Renault technical couldn't help either so going to K-Tec in a couple of weeks time to see if they can find out what it is.

21. check all suspension bar links, had this on a clio 197, and it was lower bar link.

22. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Did anyone discover what this was? I get a knock when moving off in the morning or after the car has been parked a while like after work. I know one of my ball joints needs doing and going to get them done soon but would like get this sorted at the same time. Only recently replaced the wishbones, struts, springs, anti rotation links and drop links.

23. My lower ball joint knocked until it was completely shagged

24. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Yeah getting a lot worse now so probably gonna have do it soon. Now does it every time I change direction while full left hand down