Knock -off GoPro: Xiaomi Yi Action Camera

Discussion in 'Technology Chat' started by papps, May 30, 2015.

1. Alright guys - after a recommendation from a tech friend, and input from others on this regarding GoPro 'copies' I took a punt and ordered one:-

I got it from banggood.com straight from china here's the Link : http://www.banggood.com/Original-Xi...-CMOS-WIFI-Sports-Action-Camera-p-969228.html

It's made with high end components (within reason of course) as was dirt cheap:

I got the camera (white) ; lens cover ; waterproof housing ; suction mount and a zip case with DHL tracked delivery for £77 all in - I got hit with a £3.24 Import duty from DHL when it was going through Singapore...and took around 10 days in total (inc weekends) to arrive. You can order it from their 'EU warehouse' and it will be a lot quicker without the VAT risk, but costs a great deal more - plus some of the accessories are only stocked in China so just ordered from that warehouse.

The camera itself is of good quality, only the clips to remove the battery, or plug in the USB etc feel a little poor in quality (compared to a £500 smartphone of course).

Here's what it looked like when it arrived...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the casing and accessories...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The camera works stand alone, but its best used in conjunction with your smartphone - the Andriod App is fantastic and allows you to control the camera remotley, it has video relay so you can see what your recording etc and allows you to change resolution, frame rate etc etc etc. The camera pairs with your phone via its wifi - very easy. The App has some bits in Chinese, but all the functionality is in good english and easy enough if you're tech savvy

Screen shots of the phone app:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very happy with the quality of the recordings I tried today, need to play around with the set up in the car, and also I had the waterproof housing on which muffled a lot of the sound, so need to take that off in future.

Anyway thought I'd share for anyone looking for a track day recording tool that doesn't cost the earth - I'm very pleased with this.

Plenty of Youtube reviews out there to look at if you're interested as well.

Cheers,
    Papps

2. Stu

Stu

Very interested in this, thanks for the link.

After seeing a bit about it in the news, I hadn't been able to find any for sale. Looks like that has now changed.

Is the app available for iPhone do you know?

3. Stu

Stu

Ignore that, just found the app is available on iTunes.

4. Good stuff mate - yeah a little digging is required for the Apps and the english manuals - but all can be found within 10-15 mins.

Free firmware updates of the camera as well via the app which is good for future proofing

5. Stu

Stu

Yeh, just been having a look at all the options now.

Will be be placing an order soon I think. Thanks for the info.

6. Great read, having still got a Go Pro 3 I was a little surprised about your comments but after reading reviews I took the plunge through Amazon. Camera, Skeleton case, lens cover, windscreen mount, 64 gb memory card & a bag clip (might go on the sun visor) £89. Having a £10 credit from Amazon made the difference from your link. Will take according to them up to a month for all items but camera is here tomorrow.

7. Good stuff mate! - yeah at the time of writing they were £100 on amazon - some of the retailer on there have them listed at only £55 now so could well be better to buy in the UK.