R26 Knock felt through the Pedals??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Ed Doe, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Morning all,

Slightly unusual one...

I drive some fairly heavily cambered, and in some places quite rough roads to work, so I don't know if I'm maybe making a mountain out of a molehill here...

It feels a little like I get a knock through my pedals. I'm sure its through all the pedals, but I notice it most through my accelerator (probably cause that foot is just on the pedal the most...!)

The handling to me feels quite sharp, but I do get a slight knock then wiggling the steering wheel left and right quickly, and the car does feel fairly torque-steery, particularly when overtaking and it hits the camber in the centre of the road... It also feels quite fidgety when holding constant speed or with no acceleration, but again this could be down to the camber changes in the road too...

Now this may just be me being over sensitive; it seems to drive fine and I don't feel like I'm not in control, but I'm not 100% sure if it's right or not....

Could this be hub tie-rods, or TREs? Or even the steering rack?? I've not got it up in the air yet to wiggle anything; spose that'll be the next thing to do...!

Also a point of note, my tyres (Contisport 5s) are all pretty close to the limit now. I've just got hold of a set of PS3s, and will be changing them in a couple of weeks' time, but I suppose this may contribute to the torque-steer and increase the propensity of the car to track camber?

Thoughts/comments appreciated!

Cheers

Ed

2. Get the tyres changed and report back. For a start it will steer like a bitch when the tyres are low. If it's under braking it might be the abs kicking in.

3. Thanks for the response mate, sorry I didn't see this for ages!

I've booked the car into Ktec on the weekend to have a bit of a poke about the suspension, so will report back. They'll be changing the tyres too :smile:

4. Check your hub carrier bearings mate that's what my problem was, if so contact Aaron's autos in derby he's cheap

5. What were your symptoms rhinodan?

I haven't got any issues with the steering being heavy, and the wheel always self-centres when pulling away... To my mind it can't be hub carrier bearings if it's only related to tracking the road??