Keep Megane Mk4 RS E Handbrake Off

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by antswilson, Jun 28, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Hello,

I want to replace my rear brake pads on my Mk4 Megane RS Trophy but I cannot get the electronic handbrake to stay off when the car is off. The only way I have found is to keep the car on but that is not ideal and it can also sometimes put it back on itself anyway.

I do not want to take that cailiper off and then that ebrake come on and push the piston out as I know how much of a hassle that will be to get back in.

Does anyone have a solution to this? is there a way to put the car into serice mode or something?

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

You will either have to use Renault Clip or another maintenance OBD 2 unit to get the handbrake off and to stay off while you chance the pads, most garages have software that can do it.

My local independent garage does it on my Espace, that has a electric hand brake.

4. Engine running, remove the handbrake. Once handbrake is off keep the brake pedal pressed, push the handbrake button down and at the same time press the start button to switch off the engine.
    Your automatic handbrake will stay off.

Sounds daft but do that on a flat surface or use chock blocks for the wheel.

If you want to be on the cautious side, disconnect the electric connector for the handbrake or remove the fuse for it.

5. Thank you! This method worked, I disconnected the motor to make extra sure that it wouldn't push the piston out if it did come back on.