Jacking Up

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by john45bryan, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Im looking to service my megane. Where would the best jacking place be for the rear? The rear beam is protected by plastic. Is it worth taking this off and jacking on the beam, or on the sill each side.

Thanks John

2. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

how low is the jack? you can go in via the sill or actually on part of the hub that doesn't move with the suspension.

3. Its low enough to get under the sill by the hub, so i could do it there. I was just contemplating taking the plastic off the rear beam and jack it up there.

4. Don't jack on the beam the manual states it shouldn't be done there I believe. On the side if the sills are arrows pointing down, one either side just behind the front wheels, one either side about a foot forward f the rear wheels iirc. Under these arrows you will find that there is a bulge where the jack can be located. If the jack has a large head with rubber pad place it straight under. If the jack has a small metal head get a bit of hard wood between it and the car.

5. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Ive jacked on the beam countless times. at the solid point thats not sprung. its fine.

6. The Haynes for the Megane suggests that you can use the rear suspension arm directly under the rear springs with caution and 'a substantial jack'.

Has anybody tried this?

It does seem to go directly against Renault's own words which say to use no part of the rear beam.

7. I dont really want to use the jacking points, ive heard they get 'mangled'. Ill probably take the plastic off the rear beam and do it on there.