Is this Trophy overpriced?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Chilly248, Apr 11, 2022.

1. https://www.hiltongarage.co.uk/used-renault-megane-derby-derbyshire-4126411

The only other car I've seen advertised recently was for 16.5k - very slightly higher mileage - although speaking to that dealer he did mentioned they'd discounted it significantly to sell.

I've spoken to the dealer listing the one above and they said they have a fixed price policy and won't shift on price. 'Fixed price' feels nonsense for used cars... but is this something more dealers are doing these days?

I am actively in the market for one of these but also don't want to have my pants pulled.

Thanks as ever for any input!

2. I wouldn't say so. I'd want more than that for mine.

3. Given the mileage and spec I’d say that was a bargain, and it’s literally 10mins from my house, might have to go for a nosey :smile:

And yes that garage has always had a fixed price policy as the are a supermarket and normally have anything between 500-800 cars in stock, will also offer absolute bottom price for any part ex they take in.

4. Ah right. Wasn’t aware that the Trophy cars command that much of a premium over the standard cars.

Perhaps I’ll have a think about sticking a deposit down.

Thanks for the replies…

5. Prices for everything are up 30% on where they were.

Trophys are pretty much top of the tree with Spec & the one advertised is low miles. Worth checking that Cambelt done on last service.

Dealers in recent purchase for car for Father-in-Law & wife seem reluctant to budge on prices. Just say if you dont buy it someone else will.

Then its either sold or a couple of weeks later they have increased the price as the market has moved up. Complete reversal of sanity.

6. As mentioned above, providing all maintenance is up to date like Full Cambelt kit, Water pump etc on the last service then it's pretty much right on price in the current market.

I will say black isn't the ideal colour for future resale, not that you might care but if it isn't your first colour choice then just have a good think about it before jumping the gun.

A few things to look out for on the newer 275's -

- I can't see anywhere on the advert if it has Ohlins suspension (I assume not if it isn't mentioned) however the Ohlins suspension is due a service at this point if it has which is around £1k from memory.

- Gearbox bearings are known to go in these (they did in my 2016 275 @32k miles) so just listen out for a whining noise as the cars wheel speed increases (even if in neutral) it will slowly get quieter as the wheel speed slows.

Sam Havenhand likes this.
  7. Thanks guys, really useful stuff.

So the cambelt definitely needs doing at 30k?

I’ll ask about those key pieces of service history now.

thanks again

8. Yes, it's age not mileage in your case. Just had mine done at 17000 miles, but heyho that's the way it goes.

9. Yep definitely needed doing last year at 6 year point.

If not done I would be asking some other questions as most owners pretty hot on that one and paranoid about belt snapping. So if not done why?

Although looks to be on Michelin PS4S which is good sign.