Is my clutch going very soon?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Azagedon, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Clutch has quite a high bite, only need to press the pedal half way to engage. Only slightly slips in first when in crawling traffic you notice it the most, doesn't slip in any other gears.
    Reason I ask because my last car 106 quicky did 80k miles and it was twice as old as my meg and the clutch went without warning leaving me stuck in maccys drive thru lol. (Release bearing went through the plate).
    I've got my cam belt due so need to toss up the two, thanks :smile:.

2. Its not a case of 'tossing up' between cambelt and clutch mate, both need doing!

Clutch is always a ticking timebomb at this kind of age, some go at 20k some at 80k all depends how you drive. Does it slip when you put your foot down in 6th at a low speed? Thats where its at its most load

3. Of course, but I don't have enough cash to pay for both to be done right now! :/. Mines a 2006, on 48K miles.
    You can skip from 4th into 6th and it doesn't slip excessively. Hmm credit cardo time I think lol.

4. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Get your belts done and take it easy until you can afford to do the clutch. It shouldn't get much worse as long as you are sensible.

5. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

^This. If your belt goes you're fucked. If your clutch goes it just needs replacing.

6. If belts fail they will bend an engine
    If the clutch goes it will bend your pride as a saxo goes past ..

7. To really test the clutch, put it in 6th at about 30mph on a straight road. Take your foot of the clutch pedal completely and stamp on the throttle. If the engine revs increase a lot quicker than the speed of the car, that's the clutch slipping. But agree with the others, belts first, they're a ticking time bomb, possibly 2 years overdue and could munch your engine at any time!

8. Good shout, i did try that it doesnt do that at all apart from stutter along as any car would lol.
    Yeah f-k me mines a 65 plate so it's a year over due, might just book it in for next week!! Rather have that on my credit card than a new top end.

I've got oil and filter to do as which ill ask ktec will do with the belts. Is every one recommending the water pump being changed too at this interval?

9. Ok if it stutters you might want to do it a bit faster, like 40 or something! It should pull smoothly, and in line with engine revs. They can last forever, totally variable.

10. And yes, pump too as it's only about £20 I think..

11. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

Shame you're so far away. We do the belts with water pump on these for £450 with genuine parts. Clutch with new DMF and slave is not as nice though at a smidge over £1200

12. x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  13. I did try last night, the revs increased very slowly seemed to be inline :smile:

Damn! I think i'll go for the SMF and OE clutch, I live quite close to ktec :smile:.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  14. We're there not issues with the SMF from Ktec ? Or have I just dreamt that ????

15. I think it use to throw up a light, doesn't matter too much when they are 10 miles away. I'll ring them tomorrow!

16. Camebelt and water pump is booked in for tomorrow.

I asked about the clutch and its a 7 hour job... £1187.77 inclusive of parts, labour and VAT for the Lightweight Flywheel & O.E Clutch Kit. D:

17. But you don't need a clutch yet..

18. SMF or DMF still ?

19. I do soon-ish, the bite is only half the pedal if that :/
    Thats the price for the SMF all in.

20. They have a high bite, both mine have, first one was from new. Low pedal equals slower gear changes..

21. Cambelt, aux belt, water pump, oil filter and new fluids have been all be done today. Panic over, phew.

I asked at ktec to double check this. Martin who works there has a 08 plate r26 same miles as mine and he said its quite high too, always has been. He also said the clutches and fly do last a long time easily over 80K miles (obviously depends how the car is used). :smile:

22. That's good I'm glad you believed us :-P

23. Ha, I like to get a few sources before I believe it :tongueout:.