Introduction and advice needed!

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by D3nBr0, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Hi there RsMegane Fam!
    I`m new here, I`m Swedish but live in Marbella, Spain. And very new to RS Megane's... I have never even driven one, but a friend of mine owns one, that he uses for track days and he has convinced me to get a Megane 3 RS and turn it into a track tool!

So my question to you experts is what should I look out for? From what I have read in the forum a "Cup" car is a must if the sole purpose of the purchase is to turn it into a track tool.
    Is there a way to easily distinguish them?
    What sort of milage is when they start breaking down/causing problems?
    If there is anything else it would be much appreciated!

TIA
    D3nBr0

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi and welcome
    if this is going to be a track only car then i would suggest looking an R26, they are more forgiving car, more feel of what is happening under the wheels, the MK3 is good but personally i feel the R26 is better track car.

If a Mk3 is your choice, then a cup is the better option.

with any of them, mileage is not really important its more how they have been looked after, cambelt replacement is bit expensive so either make sure its been done recently or make sure there is enough money knocked off.

3. You see I disagree.

I feel the mk3 is the step up from the R26, the driving position and the trust you will have in the megane is unreal.

It also depends on what your plans are?

Is it going to be a daily?

4. Thanks for your advice! :smile:
    The reason I`m looking for a Mk3 is that I`ve heard great things about it and in my opinion, it looks way better than the R26. But the market seems to have gone crazy for MK3`s they seem to be almost impossible to find in Spain for a reasonable price. I would like to spend less than €15k so that I leave some money over to do the mods...

5. Hey Ian,

The car is not going to be my daily, it will be used most of the on Track and the rest just having a blast on the weekends for fun.

The plan is to strip it, fit a roll cage, upgrade brakes, suspension, engine, CAE etc.

I would ideally like to buy one that is mostly stock so that I can do the mods myself. (Or better said choose the mods I want to do and get shop to do them!)

6. So I use a rattly, modified, semi track car (yet to see a track.... less than a month to go) as my daily. It's a MK3 and is very very capable.

Things to consider:

Regular oil changes - any proof of any
    Belts - have they been changed, when?
    Brakes - whilst these are consumables, last time discs were changed gives you an idea