175 DCI Intermittent Boost Lag

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CJ_RSport, Apr 17, 2019.

1. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Just wanted to do a little heads up for any DCi 175 or DCi engined megane owners.

Ive had a niggle for some time now, Ive been experiencing a bit of lag on the old turbo and the new hybrid. The brakes have also felt a bit vague, if you know that feeling of an unfamiliar car when you step on the brakes and you can feel the assistance and sharpness. Well i was missing this feel to the brakes.

I traced it back to the Vacuum pump, even though id tested this a few times but hadnt had any signs or drop in vac pressure. the turbo actuator was opening fully and the brake booster testing was fine.

These type of pump run off the cam so are under a lot of pressure to perform, they create the vacuum as a diesel cant create it via the engine alone. if they have a slight leak they wont suck as hard :wink:

So i took the plunge and replaced the vacuum pump. Fairly easy job to do its 3 10mm bolts, you just have to moved the battery and ecu and a few fuel lines out the way.

Well worth it for the sake of a second hand unit around £30 new are about £180 inc delivery, but im happy with the second hand one for now.

eCQwi4A.jpg

Had a bit of a giveaway oil slick that the old vac pump had been leaking. if theyre not air tight they wont perform to standard.

vBfUxl3.jpg

qPHNtWX.jpg

CJ

coetseejj.rd likes this.