Intercooler sprayer & intake temps

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Agreen, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Last time out at Anglesey my intake temps were hitting around 30C with ambient temps of around 6C. This had me concerned, as even on a cold day, temps were hitting around 25C above ambient.

So, I've set up a water sprayer using a couple of windscreen jets to hit the intercooler with the aim of removing some heat soak. I'm also moving the airfilter to where the battery is, as at present, it's stuffed down the back of the engine, touching the gearbox!

I've used the front motor in the existing washer bottle and wired in a push button switch on the dash to activate the system. If this has some success in lowering temps, I'll fit a 10 second relay to save me holding the button.

When the car is back on the road, I'll get some data on the intake temps to see if it's a worthwhile system, the whole thing has cost around £40, the bulk of which being a new pump!

I'm not expecting any power gains, but it could be a cheap way of keeping things a little cooler and safer! Ideally, I'd bin the forge and get a better cooler but I can't justify the cost tbh.

Attached Files:

Azza and manugtt like this.
  2. You are a master man! Next job on my apparatus:wink:

3. Ha, I would wait to see if its effective before you start!

Should hopefully have it back on the road next week and I'll try and dodge the Gestapo to do some runs.

manugtt likes this.
  4. great work friend.

5. Love the ingenuity but your halfway to fitting a water/meth kit so why not go the whole hogg :sunglasses: an i reckon what your doing will work evo's an scoobies have had aquamist systems for years with proven results

6. Still need to test this with some data logging, hopefully will be able to do so soon.

Azza likes this.
  7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What intercooler do you have? That one sounds very inefficient

8. Forge.

Moving the battery to the boot has freed up space for the airfilter too, hopefully it'll pull some cooler air in the first place.

9. I did that on my forged r26 but kept going with the intake pipe an put the filter behind the foglamp just like the very expensive itg kit does, made a noticeable difference had no foglights either so flow was good

RS250 castle combe likes this.
  10. I decided to keep the fog lights.

Should be a big difference for the intake temps at the filter. I won't notice anything from the drivers seat, but if I can get intake temps closer to ambient and remove some heat soak, it should be a bit healthier for the engine itself.

11. Have you removed the rubber at the back of the engine bay, the one the bonnet seals against, well worth removing it as it lets the air out from the top of the engine.

12. Im a serial remover :tearsofjoy:fire proofing,sound proofing you name it i remove it an never had an issue worst case it gets warmer in the cab never had a fire yet :tearsofjoy:

13. Yet :laughing::laughing:

Azza likes this.
  14. Yeah the rubber is long gone, don't think it was even there when I bought the thing lol.

ianplymouth likes this.
  15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Doesn't too very efficient. My airtec keeps temps around 10-15 degrees higher than Ambient, even at the Ring in 25degrees they didn't get hugely higher either

16. do you have any remap?. The temperatures that you mentioned in what condition they are read?

17. Yeah the forge is definitely whack, but the cost of the upgrade is almost a set of rods or pistons, I know where I would prefer to spend the money!

-Jamie- likes this.
  18. Just for information
    I had problems while tuning with my Chinese intercooler.

So if you want to go higher than 300 hp a good intercooler is a must have

At 26 degrees outside temp the air intake on the dyno reach 50 degrees, thats something like the limit for tuning as the mapper tell me

19. Owners before me, could not fix overheating with the 250 Engined Meglio. Grills removed, Bonnet Vents, nothing cured it, so they sold it to me!. Within a few days, I discovered quite by accident, the fan was pulling air from the Engine compartment, back to the outside, instead of outside through Rads, so even though its tight in there, there are now no overheating issues, even on track days. One thing I learnt over the years, is check the simple/obvious first, which I assume, you will have done.I now run 320/340 and no problems.

engine killer and Jukidam like this.
  20. I would directly check it but I don't understand 100 percent what was wrong

The fas was sucking from the inside to the outside? Or what was the problem directly

Some cars have left and right on side of the intercooler some plastic which forces the air to go thoroug the cooler

My one doesn't have it

320/340 is very nice, couldn't go higher in Torque because I'm on stock mk2 clutch.

21. Thats plastics are more important that we think Jukidam. Sometime expend a lot of money and work looking for better results and maybe a cheap piece of plastic make the different.

Jukidam and LoK28o like this.
  22. He really needs to get these bits fitted, told him already :laughing::laughing:

Jukidam and manugtt like this.
  23. @LoK28o
    The part numbers are 8200158145 and 8200158151
    If you have an after market inter cooler then you will have to trim them, so you might as well get used ones

Jukidam likes this.
  24. tell me mate!

25. Thank you all a lot

And thanks for the numbers :grin:

ianplymouth likes this.