250 Intercooler on stock internals

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Edward Brown, Aug 17, 2022.

1. I recently bought an RS250 that has been mapped to around 320hp 340lb ft - aside from the map it's had very few modifications.

How much higher can the stock engines go before needing forged pistons & rods. Would an aftermarket airtec intercooler (and possibly 630 injectors) be worth doing, or is it already at its limit?

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Very odd with these engines, stock power engines have had failures, it was quoted that a stock engine was good for 400/400 but that has been reduced over the years, 350/360hp should be okay. stock injectors should be okay for 350hp +

It's the torque that kills the rods.

3. E-A

E-A

I've read injectors are maxed out at around 320 and that applies also to the turbo charger (?)
    I don't know how much boost you want to run if you want a "safe" map? I was running 1,68 bar on the rollers making 301 hp.
    Regarding intecooler, they makes a difference. When i'm driving at 155 mph and outside temp is 23-24°C, inlet temp is down from (completely standard car) 47°C to 39°C with all modifications installed. At the same speed I noticed:

Standard:
    Oil: 98°C
    Water: 88°C

After modification:
    Oil: 103°C
    Water: 96°C

Adeyspec likes this.
  4. Are you sure it hasn’t already got an aftermarket intercooler on it, big power gains for just a map or it was an over optimistic dyno :smirk:

5. It might not be at 320, I've not seen the dyno graph personally.

After installing an aftermarket intercooler should I get it mapped again or will the ECU be fine offsetting itself?

6. Intercooler should be a must at that power, again check it defo is running on standard but a decent intercooler (highly recommend wagner) will only benefit. As to if you need to have an adjustment on a map... I'm not sure but worth a quick call to either Rs tuning or EFI (who i highly recommend).

Injectors are only required if your going with a hybrid/bigger turbo however on stock internals with say a hybrid the bhp figure will rise but most will still cap the torque to 360ftlb max.

With an intercooler and all the other relevant modifications most meganes will run happily for a long time at the 320bhp/350ftlb. Anything higher than this then id want to be modifying internals.

Brigsy likes this.
  7. I've just gone for a quick trip to the shops & logged the intake temps (not driving any faster than 40mph) climbing to 40+

I'll do some proper pulls tonight to see how high they get but I'm guessing it's defiantly worth picking up a bigger intercooler.

Thanks for the info guys!

8. Stock intercooler is terrible on standard map, charge temps were astronomical on hot days from memory.

Should be the first mod before mapping. Fit something decent and get it booked in for another map at the decent meg tuners.