Inner tie rod

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by smalleys225, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Hi all, does anyone know if there is a special tool required to hold the steering whilst replacing the inner tie rods? Cheers in advance

2. there isn't, you shouldnt need to put any pressure on the rack that would cause the steering to move while replacing them, they just spin off - replaced mine a couple of months ago. You'll want to get your tracking/alignment done after replacing them anyway ideally.

Don't forget to replace the white plastic bump stop while you're in there (should come with the inner tie rod)

3. Cheers for your help! Is there anyway of damaging the rack so I can make sure I don't lol

4. The factory says you can damage the rack and recommend a counter holding tool. However when you check the official tool list they only spec a removal tool not a holding tool for the Megane.

Either way you possibly won't break the original free or put enough torque into the new one with stilsons alone!

I bought one of these:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457560205.488342.jpg

It grips evenly on the joint preventing you from causing flat spots on the bearing. Grips both ways so you can tighten it too.

80Nm torque with thread lock when it goes back on!