265 Inlet Air Temp

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by JlllCK J, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Hi all, just a quick question (probably dumb) to see what the inlet air temp should be roughly on a casual drive? I was under the impression it should be near the temp outside? Was 16c outside when I was driving normally in and out of sport mode, and it was averaging around the 28c-30c region. Is this normal or do we think this is a little high?

2. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

No such thing as a dumb question :blush:

The cooler the better, but to cool the air to ambient temperature would mean 100% efficiency which is near on impossible without using air to fluid.
    I think you should want to see intake temperatures beoow 40oC, but there are lots of variables, turbo size, amount of fuel used, ventilation, speed, intercooler size and air flow etc etc..
    I dont think 28oC is anything to worry about :blush:

3. Dont forget, where the sensor is located the air has to go through the turbo which is hot, through the intercooler passed the sensor and into the throttle. The only time the ambient and inlet temp will be same will be at cold start until the turbo starts warming up.

4. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Even before then, as soon as the turbo compresses anything past natural air pressure the temperature will rise. The more compression the more heat will be produced.

5. Thanks guys makes much more sense now! It did get to 40 once or twice but that was due to a bit of idling so you’d expect that. Drops straight down with a little driving. It’s just nice to know about all these things so you can spot problems earlier :smile:

Big Uno likes this.
  6. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

You are welcome mate.
    You shouldnt really ever have any problems from intake temp, but it is good to keep an eye on it! :blush:

7. guessing you have factory IC, even with my larger aftermarket IC with ambient of 25C in slow traffic can see maybe 50C then 30C on move and at 18 ambiant gives 25 on move

Jimbob 2705 and Big Uno like this.
  8. Yeah car is all standard. Seems about right then tbh which is good news! Oil only been getting up to mid 80s and highest 91 as well with a few hoons so good to see temperatures all solid! Heard a lot of temp sensors break on these so just wanted to be sure