R26 Induction Kit, have I made a mistake.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Benno, Jan 31, 2015.

1. So, about 3 weeks ago, before joining this forum, I fitted a K&N induction kit to my R26. However, after looking back through the threads in this forum, it became apparent that more than a few people were slating K&N filters and saying to stay clear of them. This came as a surprise because K&N are one of the most well known makers of air filters.

My airbox had already been modded by a previous owner (again, before joining this forum I had know idea it was a common thing to do). So my question is, should I refit the modded airbox and buy a better panel filter? If so which one would you recommend?

Cheers

Ben

2. Whats wrong with K&N?

3. Are they just crap in relation to the Meg? I've had them on pretty much every car I've had and thought they were excellent. Can anyone add anything?

4. Its the heat soak, oem airbox is so good most just fit panel filters. Some cut a whole in the intake to the airbox to increase airflow

5. I've got a k&n panel filter in mine and its been bang on for almost 2 years.

As long as its shielded and has a cold air feed it will be fine.

Ive heard on other forums that the oil can mess with the afm but Meganes dont have them.

6. Depends on whether you are talking about a K&N panel filter in the original airbox which I don't think anyone was really slating. It's the K&N cone filter that suffers more from the heat soak. There is the ITG cone filter and install kit that locates the cone filter underneath the battery tray and requires a modified battery tray. Replacing the existing airbox that was pretty well designed out the factory, with a cone filter and not relocating it is where the heat soak issue arises.

So really it's not the K&N cone filter thats the issue, simply where it is located. It really should be relocated closer to where the air intake for the standard airbox is to be a 'performace improvement'. And just a warning to those who relocate the cone filter near the wheel arch, don't be driving through big puddles at speed otherwise you are likely to suck up a lot of water into the engine which is generally catastrophic! :wink:

Hope that clears it up!

7. Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll refit the airbox and look at a panel filter instead

8. On the other hand , lots of bigger power cars have the air filter located where the airbox is and still produce larger power. I shouldnt worry too much about the position of the intake. The intercooler should be reducing the air temps anyway.

9. Either way with an uprated cold air feed will be fine.

Mine had a ktec cone filter when I got it, only changed back to the airbox cos its quieter.No other reason.

This is the standard air feed to the airbox next to the one I now use.

[​IMG]

10. heatsoak? its a turbo car only n/a will suffer from heat soak from the air intake. airbox mod is fine just the cone filter give off more noise. the only filters from experience that are a problem is the pipercross as the rubber seal comes away from the foam in places.