I'm torn (exhaust related)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Alex_225, Feb 12, 2015.

1. I love my 225 Trophy, it does everything I need it to do and still surprises me with how quick it can be and how well if handles.

The only thing is, the lack of noise. I know that sounds a it chavvy but I'd love it to sound as good as it is quick, without being a Scooby wannabe.

I have toyed with the idea of a back box removal or aftermarket system. Even wondered if the original tailpipes could be put onto a straight through pipe to be more OEM.

Just wonder if I'm clinging not onto keeping it original because it's a Trophy or whether I should bite the bullet and make it sound how I think it should haha

2. Mine has a 3" turbo back and it sounds perfect to me.

Standard it was crap and way too quiet.

There should be some videos up soon after the rolling road day at rstuning.

3. Mate I've had both boxes removed to make it a straight through on the standard system! To me it sounds just like my mates miltek! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-WETZc_GOw

4. Cant beat a proper cat back or turbo back in my opinion. The backbox chop was good for a while but i longed for more noise and it sounded hollow occacionally if im honest. Dont think any exhaust on the meg is that loud unless you decat anyway. KTR all the way for me on this one. Miltek i used to have was ok but too quiet after a while. The KTR one has nice pops and bangs on lift of, but not too loud its annoying or anything. i had a clio 182 with decat and silencers remvoed and that was loud so maybe i biased!

5. My 225 has a straight though stainless pipe from the cat, no silencers at all! It does sound nice from in the car, but at the MOT station yesterday i realised how chavvy it sounds :worried: there is definitely a hollow sound to it as well. Time to get a back box on it :smile:

6. Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's a tricky one as my concern is more the OEM nature of things because I'm a fussy tart than the noise side of things. I actually don't want it to be overly noisy as I use the Trophy day to day and drive my little girl around as well so don't want her deafened by it.

I'd just like to free up some of the noise so it at least sounds sporty where as the only thing that does that at the moment is the Forge dump valve.

Also, money wise the back box chop is relatively cheap compared to an entire system which at the moment is something I have to factor in. :smile:

7. I have a forge dump valve and can hardly hear it over the exhaust....

8. Is your set up completely box free from the cat?

Do the 225s have a cat, then centre box and then back box? I'd be inclined to keep the centre box.

9. Daz

Daz

It's only an exhaust - A trophy isn't special enough to deny it a decent exhaust because it's not standard.

Do you still have those side decals on? imo that's far worse than swapping an exhaust over for a non oem look - get one one!! :smile:

10. Yes its completely box free, it still has the standard cat from what i can see. I am sure the OE system has a centre box and rear silencer, most people remove the rear silence and replace it with a straight through pipe if you want to keep the OE look. I have heard of £70 costs to have it done.

Interestingly my car has a stainless pipe from the cat but has the OE tail pipes on it :confused:

Gareth

11. I'm actually quite taken with the decals, look fairly decent (in my eyes) but protect the sides of the car as a bonus. They're a bit less committed than the exhaust though as they just peel off easy enough. :smile:

Thanks Gareth, that's handy to know. I'd probably go down the route of just having the back box removed and as straight through stainless pipe from the centre box. I want extra noise but nothing too rowdy.

I did wonder if you could keep the standard exhaust tips but I must admit a 3" round tailpipe looks pretty cool!

12. if you want it to be failry quiet i would go for miltek as thats fairly quiet i used to think

13. I've had a chat with Ed (LiquidF1) and he sent me a picture of someone he knows who had the OEM tailpipes kept but the back box replaced for a straight through pipe.

Get the funky sound but the OEM look, I like the idea of that. :smile: