Idle vibration

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Jamesycc, May 23, 2017.

1. Anyone had a similar problem. All was well until last Tuesday when the megane developed a vibration on idle.

No crunches or knocks. Engine and transmission all OK. Gear change and clutch pedal unaffected.

I've replaced both upper engine mounts and hasn't cured it.

I suppose the next step is dog bone. The gearbox mount seems OK.

Any similar stories to share would be useful..

2. sadly that is also symptom of DM flywheel starting come apart, only at idle initially and no sound to indicate anything wrong, dearly hope its not but cant be ruled out unfortunately.

Jamesycc likes this.
  3. Yeah did think that. Hoping it isn't obviously. The car is on 94k so not sure how long they last or whether it's the original.
    Hoping it's a cheap fix but are they ever!!

4. Well turns out it may be dmf failure. Was a bit temperamental on gear change yesterday. Commute took twice as long home yesterday cos of bh traffic so think it all got hotter than usual so showed it self up. Plus the missus said it was making a racket reversing onto the drive, I can't hear it over the exhaust inside the car. Could feel more vibration while moving which wasn't happening earlier in the week. Plus the gearstick whent all sludgy once I'd turned the engine off. It selects the gears just a bit slow to pop in and out of them. Will have a fiddle later but won't be a cheap fix...

5. around £850-950 depend where go, DMF is exchange item from Reno. shouldn't really drive, best get done before completely splits apart which could cost big to repair as might damage box. done well at 95K though

6. Can get a new LUK dmf for £195 with a Gsf discount code. Just need a labour price from my usual garage. Ain't no way I'd pay nearly a grand for the job, I'd just sell it.

7. If it's the same DMF as the Mk3 then a Renault reconditioned one is circa £300, brand-new they're circa £1,000.

8. Mk ll is different. It's now where near those prices.