Idle misfire on rs250

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by dave77, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Hi, I've an rs250, it has a misfire, at idle only. The car had an engine rebuild a few thousand miles ago, the misfire was there before that.
    It's had
    New spark plugs
    Injectors
    Fuel pump
    Coil packs
    02 sensor
    All oem.
    So this is the misfire..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XVm662IzseEolju8kWmNRC4Zx9eukp-L/view?usp=drivesdk

When I unplug the top 02 sensor the misfire disappears completely...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XWP2yEXPqew7HaQSC9jxhBDdOZx3IpKA/view?usp=drivesdk

Did a smoke test, no leaks detected, and the compression test is also spot on. if anyone has a clue where I could look next would be much appreciated.

Dave

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

2. Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

3. And when you are moving, does the misfire still occur

dave77 likes this.
  4. Hi, no at idle only, it disappears with 02sensor unplugged and car drives 100%

5. So everyone could be forgiven for jumping to the conclusion that it's the O2 sensor.

Jimmy Lam and dave77 like this.
  6. Had the car been mapped?

7. Yes it was mapped many years ago by rs tuning

8. So you know what's coming now .. must be the remap

9. 02 sensor was replaced with a brand new oem one

10. Lol yea the usual reply to something like this [emoji23]

Mr Spoon likes this.
  11. Which o2 sensor did you replace? As theres two?

12. Top one on the decat bank 1 sensor 1

13. Solved this, was the purge valve solenoid that sits just beside the coolant tank, it hadn't clicked in a while so I replaced it and the car feels like it should again [emoji846]

Filo, Matthewdemin and tof73 like this.
  14. Wow that's good to know
    you wouldn't think that would be related to your problem, vey helpful :sunglasses::sunglasses:

dave77 likes this.
  15. The wonderful world of Renault [emoji23]

16. I have had an odd misfire but when on power (boost) it has been okay for the first few laps on track, then gradually would get worse.

It got really bad on the way to Thruxton months back, got a replacement ECU and that seemed to have sorted it, but it came back at the ring two weeks ago, but was fine driving it home.

Well yesterday i was at LeMans and it happened again, started misfiring and in the end i lost cylinders 2 and 3, replaced the coils with some spares i had, then it was better but still not 100%, so i fitted a new set of spark plugs, exactly the same.

So replaced the crank sensor, no different.

Pulled out the glove box, removed the BCM (as the Icarsoft says it has a Canbus fault) wiggled the wires, gave it a few smacks and still no better.

A friend i went with said try my pencil coils, pulled all four of his out of his red hot engine, fitted them and it was back to 100%, swapped out 2 & 3 coils, still good, changed number 4 to one of mine still good, pulled cylinder 1 and fitted another and the misfire was back, swapped out with another and all was good.

The rest of the day went without any engine problems.

So with two sets of coils, i had a duff coil in each set.

And my OBD test said and showed no misfires on any cylinder.

Brigsy likes this.
  17. Are you running aftermarket pencil coils @ianplymouth

my mate had issues with aftermarket valeo green tops doing exactly the same on track. Changed back to oem/beru and no issues since. I recently had the odd misfire on green tops, which went after fitting new beru.

18. The ones that were fitted were Beru and i'm sure the ones i have as spares were also Beru as they have a light to mid grey tops

19. As far as i know the grey tops are aftermarket bosch or similar, beru/oem are black with no cap on. Ive not used the grey top ones, but can remember Chris @ efi saying the green top ones are terrible.

20. I have completely the same problem. But I can’t understand. How that valve can affect at idle?

21. Posted that reply in the wrong place, new genuine plugs gapped to .6 and new coil packs cured it

22. thanks. I also have that parts new but it not helps (

23. Is your car mapped? DMF or smf?

24. yes I have st3 map. And also I have new dmf with new clutch. Done half a year ago