265 Idle Chugging Noise

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TehBIGrat, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Hi All

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere I am unable to find a thread on it.

Car 2013 RS 265 Cup, Mileage 108,000 km, regularly serviced.

Took the car for a test drive with the previous owner and afterwards we noticed this sound.
    Previous owner says they had not noticed it before then.
    They asked the mechanic (while getting serviced) before selling it on.
    Mechanic says it is just the injectors because they have warmed up

After warming up and about 10 minutes of driving.
    When idling I can hear a chugging noise coming from the battery side of the engine.
    Chugging is far more noticeable in Sport Mode.

Idles at just below the 850RPM line in Normal Mode
    Idles at just below the 1K line in Sport Mode
    The noise disappears completely when applying slight throttle > 1,150rpm line

Has anyone had similar, where should I start looking, Is this something to be concerned about.
    (I have tried to listen to injectors, etc but wanting a fresh view)

Please see this attached video for the noise. (sorry camera is broken)

Thanks for any help on this

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Get someone to sit in the car with there foot on the clutch and see if the noise changes, also try it in gear, sounds like it could possibly be the DMF rattling.

3. Hi ianplymouth. Thanks for your respone.

I have done what you have asked.

FYI from cold and not touching anything engine started and the "chugging" starts after about 30 seconds.

Pressed clutch pedal down and chugging stops - Release Clutch pedal and chugging starts again

I am unsure how to test this in gear? as it will only stall before making any noises if I try to creep in 1st gear.

Regards.

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

If the noise stops when you press the clutch peddle down, then i would be 99% certain its the duel mass flywheel that's on its way out.

5. Thanks for the help. I'll ring around town to find a mechanic that knows something about renaults.

6. Have you checked coil pack and spark plug 4? Water gets in them from the washer jets.

Just an idea

7. Thanks.

I'm fairly certain its the DMF it sounds very very similar to this

I will check the coil pack and spark plugs in the weekend anyway.

8. I’m 99% sure that’s a knackered flywheel, mine made the same noise and that’s what it was.