Hybrid turbo Cooling

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by James275, Jan 25, 2018.

1. So my car is being fitted with a RS tunning garret hybrid turbo in a swap deal with my mechanic (long story)
    My car is already fitted with a airtec stage 1.
    This trophy r is fitted with a pro alloy intercooler and secondary cooler.
    My question is do i swap the whole lot for the pro or can i keep my airtec and fit the secondary?
    Ideally id prefer to keep the airtec because its black.
    Will be running roughly 350bhp daily and tracked.
    Any info would be cool thanks.

2. I could be wrong about this as I haven't seen both I/Cs in the flesh BUT from my understanding is that the Airtec will not allow the turbo cooler radiator to fit with it. The Pro Alloy turbo cooler sits where the OEM sits and the I/C sits above it. Where as the Airtec sits all the way down where the OEM sits and extends up in front of the engine radiator.

When I get around to it, I'll be fitting a Wagner I/C as it doesn't block the engine rad which can be an issue in the Oz climate. I'm considering modifying a turbo cooler for the Clio IV to fit a Megane to take some stress out of the cooling system: http://www.airtec-cooling.co.uk/product/renault-clio-rs-airtec-turbo-cooler/

James275 likes this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

If you really want to sort the cooling, Forget about the additional turbo/water cooler and get an Oil cooler. Removes heat from both the coolant and oil systems then.

4. okay mate thanks. Shes off to spa in april and i just want to make sure the cooling will be fine.
    Ill talk to paul at rst and see what the temps are on the rollers and go from there.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You'll be fine with the cooler you have. Ive ran mine for two years with no issues.

RST will likely try and sell you their Pro cooling package though, But it isn't needed. The Airtec has the most efficient core in terms of cooling IAT's. May not flow quite as well as the Pro but your talking a handful of numbers difference.

6. The car the hybrid is coming out with has the PRO alloy but i said id keep my airtec.
    Looking forward to getting it done now. Decat too should make some difference.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Don't get to excited about it, the hybrid isn't that amazing tbf but I guess if your coking from stock it's gonna feel pretty quick after

8. I think if your after big power and traffic light racing you've bought the wrong car. What you can get off a map on newer hot hatchs makes these cars feel out dated sometimes, but when you compare how well these drive compared to the newer hot hatchs they do seem like a bargain.

9. im defiantly not interested in launches or 0-60 runs. Handling is spot on and im happy with 305 poke. But something i cant turn down. So hopefully will be even more of a track weapon