Hybrid turbo bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by neilrs, Jun 6, 2016.

1. After a recent track day, one of the bolts on the turbo worked its way loose

A bit disconcerting! Hopefully won't be any damage to the car in the long term but I'm keen to ensure it doesn't occur again

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, is there a solution?

Not sure if loctite has any effect, or if alternative bolts with locking pins in would help?

Any thoughts?

2. A wire through the bolts head (two bolts to each other)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

3. Hmm... Sorry not sure I understand

Got a link to an image?

4. http://www.dafmobile.ournet.org.uk/pics/steering/newLocking.jpg

like that, basically makes it so that the two bolts lock eachother in place, if one tries to loosen, it has to tighten the other, and vice versa

need to drill a hole through the head of the bolt to get the wire through

MilosB likes this.
  5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

Nord lock washer

6. The same issue is common on my Volvo (same engine as Focus ST), I went with Stage 8 bolts to prevent this. They do nuts as well IIRC...

oCES9XD.jpg

7. Ah hah... Of all the suggestions the Stage8 one looks like the one I could most easily implement

Next question then... What is the actual bolt I need? I read somewhere it's an M8, but don't know length etc

8. i put 25mm length in mine, two of them will take longer bolts but the one at the front won't because it's a plug thread