How useful is the front undertray?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Mark_RS, Oct 26, 2017.

1. I need to remove my bumper this weekend to measure up for oil cooler and fit a splitter of some description. The captive nuts (3 of them) that connect the front splash guard (not the engine under tray) have given up and spin freely so I had to cut the front tray to get it free. The tray is a few kg on its own, is now damaged and tbh with it not on the bottom of the IC looks like it'll see more air and there isn't a lot to get dirty/damaged.

My old cars and a lot of newer ones don't have these things fitted...anyone just removed theirs? Thought I might ditch it or modify it to simply cover the ITG on the passenger side but leave everything else exposed.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Leave it on, it's there for a reason. Airflow will be ruined through the bay.

Manufactures don't spend millions developing cars for nothing :smile:

3. Counter argument is have you tried it without? Tested temps etc? The internet seems divided on the topic. My old 172 Cup track car didn't have one and was no worse for it.

4. Might depend on vehicle use, on track a well placed stone at speed could give the engine sump what for, or rock banging around under there could be costly: foto of recent contact with rock and wheel last week

Attached Files:

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I ran without it for a week or two as I had the same issue as you with seized captive nuts not being captive anymore, I think Temps seemed a bit a higher that normal bit tbf o wasn't really testing it. I know on some cars they suffer badly from airflow through coolers by removing things like undertrays.

I know it's damaged now but if the weight is your reasoning for not refitting then may I suggest wearing a lighter jacket LOL. Even the protection pros would be my main reasoning for keeping it

6. My word that looks unfortunate! I'm thinking of ditching the front tray only that seems to support the bumper a little. The Wagner IC takes up most of the room underneath it with just the washer bottle and ITG visible either side. I can't see myself flat bottoming the car any time soon and nor can I see me fitting a splitter that is functional without it looking silly.

Anyone on here run without for extended periods? Shame the only company that makes a proper replacement is RK Design and that costs around £1100 shipped.

7. I have been eating more of late...it's true :smiley:

I may have to be my own guinea pig on this one? Bumper will be off today/tomorrow for me mucking about so will have a proper look.

8. It lowers the flow to the radiators and lowers the pressure in front of them. Its there for a reason

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

9. Thanks Milos,

The trays are still off at the moment due to a potential gearbox leak and captive nuts that need replacing. Ambient temps here are lower due to time of year (11 deg) but so far, me pushing the car hard hasn't seen any increase in temps, either inlet, oil or water. I'd even say they seem marginally lower (oil and inlet). The ultimate test will be a mid summer track day with them on and then off I guess.

10. Side note, has anyone made a proper front diffuser for the Megane 3? RK Design do an almost flat bottom setup but it's bloody expensive!

11. Regarding tests I wpuld only trust a back to back comparison at same ambient temps and same riding style :smile:

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

12. That would be my plan too.

13. Evening all. Didn’t want to create my own thread for this…

Does anyone know the part number for the 250 bumper undertray?

14. Thanks Matt.

It's the bumper undertray I'm after, but cheers for the link.
    I think 622355333r is the part number I'm after.

15. Nick

Nick RSM Moderator

It’s 758900006r

RS_Rowe likes this.
  16. It is indeed. I managed to get confirmation from AP Motorsport.

cheers Nick

17. Nick

Nick RSM Moderator

RS_Rowe likes this.
  18. Much appreciated

Nick likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick RSM Moderator

Got mine fitted today, it’s pretty good for the money

23831bbc3502f961d3bfcb7c887557d4.jpg

RS_Rowe likes this.