How to test which speaker wire is positive or negative?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Space Cadet, Jul 27, 2017.

1. I use the ISO pinout to find the wire I need at the headunit end and then do a continuity check using a multimeter between the headunit and speaker ends.

2. You are likely right, car electrics are beyond me.

As per my subsequent post though I tested at source (using an AA-battery) and coincidentally all were wired as the Multimeter suggested other than the rear left which was out of phase due to Renault’s wiring.

So in my instance it was lucky I didn’t trust the manufacturer’s wiring!!

As it happens both my new rears are still very quiet compared to the fronts and this is with a new head-unit. Was the same with the old rears and old-head unit, I can’t understand why????

3. Can you hear a noticeable difference since you swapped the polarity on the rear?

Its strange that your finding it so quiet, mine aren't loud but the fronts are now bigger and amplified so its not a fair comparison.

I'd have thought stock headunit outputs would be 4 X 15W or 4 X 20W so each speaker would be getting the same power. Odd that yours seem quiet, but then the rear speakers are only supposed to be fill anyway - the front provide most of the sound.

4. Thanks, TBH I can’t confirm either way. They were poor before and they’re still poor.

Forgetting the old head-unit for the time being, I would’ve thought the new head-unit would’ve sent the same power to each speaker (in this case 4 x 50W).

I can’t think it would’ve been pre-programmed just to send a ‘fill’ signal to the rears, but one thing I have just thought of is that I can adjust the speaker levels independently (almost like setting up a surround-sound amp/speakers), but I’ve not tried it out yet, possibly I can send more “signal” to the rears to make them match the fronts – worth a try hey.

5. Thanks, I did similar but just used the AA-battery test for polarity.