Sponsored By:  

How to tame a tyre killer?

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by git-r, Sep 21, 2016.

1. I've done lots of track days in various cars but although my 250 RS is by far the best out the box car I've had for track stuff it's going to cost me a fortune in tyres unless I can tame it!

I really don't want to change anything, it's ace as is but thinking some negative camber on the front would help enormously.

What's the cheapest and easiest way to do this?

Any other ideas?

Sam

2. Adjustable top mounts or eccentric lower control arm bushes. I'd advise the former.

git-r likes this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Silver project, AST or Renault Kirfel adjustable top mounts to suit the Oem suspension, don't know how much the stock springs will actially alloy you to dial in but I'd be happening for - 2 degrees at least

Mattyt and git-r like this.
  4. - many thanks for this.

AST don't list anything for the megane 3, Renault kirfel looks good but for some reason not working in google translate. The silverproject stuff looks great.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

AST 100% do them for the stock setup along with their coilovers.

Silver project are the cheapest and best value for money, only downside is they are a pain to adjust so make sure you get them spot on first time [emoji23]

git-r likes this.
  6. AST did me a good quote for some for my Ohlins. They'll be going on next month. No idea why they aren't listed on the site.

git-r likes this.
  7. One of my friends has a Ferrari and does a lot of track work. He has a spare set of wheels and only fits budget tyres as they never last long. He has the same fun at a lower cost than spending so much on premium tyres.

git-r likes this.
  8. Thanks for the replies chaps :smile:

9. I used to run part worns but good quality brands, great way to do it. Got a deal from my local part worn place -£100 for 4 fitted :smile:

Going to try and get a set of 18's too, currently on 19's which makes it even more expensive .

Frimley111R likes this.
  10. @git-r hello mate - what tyres do you currently have ? Have you considered semi-slick ?

11. Hi Nick,
    Currently running contiforcecontact's which are continentals track tyre. They come with only 5 mm and are supposed to be good track tyres. I've found them to be crap frankly. Nothing like the same grip as much cheaper tyres I've used on different cars.
    I've been considering semi's but have 19's so choice is limited until I get a set of 18's.
    How has your wear been on the nankangs?

12. Adding camber will make the world of difference, I use R888Rs and found them really good and the price has come down a lot recently, harder tyres such as the Nanking and Feds will last longer and are cheaper. Get top mounts and some 18 inch semis and you will be away!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

git-r likes this.
  13. Thanks for this!
    Do you run standard suspension with the r888r's? How does it fair?

14. Not standard no, but my set up will push them a lot harder than standard as it is a race car and they seem to wear well. Plus you can rotate them to either side and back to front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

git-r likes this.
  15. Pretty good ! 3000 road miles, 30 laps at Spa, 30 at the ring and 40 at Bedford : the front outer edge is in really good nick, I would say it still has about the same mileage left. But I will swap front to rear for next year. The rest of the width has about 5mm left at the front. The main thing is their sidewalls are very stiff so yes quite noisy and hard but it's a good alternative to added camber for longevity...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    git-r likes this.
  16. How easy are they to fit? - don't you just adjust to the maximum for each side?

17. I'm not convinced on the camber adjustment people are going for if you're not running stock suspension

Am yet to track the car with stiffer suspension settings but the car doesn't roll a lot with the setup I have now. Particularly for road and tracks like the ring, which aren't smooth, dialling in a ton of camber doesn't feel right

Purely for UK track, sure... But how many of them do you do to make it worthwhile?

git-r and Mattyt like this.
  18. Thanks for this.

Sorry, did you mean that you're not convinced about running more negative camber with the standard suspension?

My car is totally stock and that's how I'd like it to remain.

The megane is kind of a second softer track car that I might use on the road occasionally. So far, I've only used it about 4 times, 3 of those for track days :smile: :smile:

19. Just to add, I'm going for the ast adjustable top mounts, the garage I use are going to have a think about whether there's anything else worth doing while I'm at it.

20. Why get top mounts if you don't want to change the geo beyond what you can with OEM setups?

21. There's no adjustment with the standard stuff as far as I know.

The top mounts will give more negative camber, less tyre wear and hopefully more grip in corners.

22. Ah right... Bit confused as I thought you were agreeing with the idea of keeping it standard.

Ideally a back to back comparison with adjustment round a track would be good

23. Yeah sorry I thought I may have confused people with saying about keeping it standard. It's a cost thing and the desire to not ruin it for the road, my whole reasoning in buying it was that it'd make a good track car out the box without frequent trips to the garage.

The tyre killing thing is something i'd expect from all 'road' cars. A GT3 will do the same.

On a different car I went from a very hard and slightly lower suspension to AST 3 way race which was slightly higher causing less negative camber. First track day with the AST's and it was goodbye to the outside edge of the new set of tyres I'd put on and there was a lot less grip in long corners.

The Meg did a high 57 at brands, negative camber could make it a bit quicker, we shall see.

I'll be using different tyres so not really a fair comparison. A set of AD08R's that I've just got are a much harder compound with a lot more tread, so they shouldn't really be as quick.

Not really bothered about that tho, so long as it doesn't kill the tyres I'll be happy :smile: