How to check milage without going by instrument cluster?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by JackRS97, Mar 30, 2021.

1. So I put a deposit down on a 265 cup last weekend but stupidly forgot to check the mot history while I was there and when I checked when I got home I found a milage discrepancy on the latest mot. The mileage listed on the advert was 44,246 and the mileage on the dash in the pictures on the advert was 44,262 so that all makes sense. However the mot done in September 2020 records the milage at 44,271. Alarm bells started ringing at this point although I do believe that it was most likely just a mistake by the mot tester. The car was a finance repossession so unfortunately I have no service history to go by. Is there anyway that I can check the actual milage stored on an ecu somewhere when I go back to pick the car up on Saturday?

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

iirc its stored on the clocks only

3. He may be just using old pics he took last year? I have done that especially following a crappy winter.

And assumed that as he has not done any miles that they are roughly the same as in the pictures? Usually when I quote miles in an add I quote to nearest thou as I am using a bit.

Seems unlikely they will clock for such little amount of miles. What was the 2019 MOT. Is there much change from that?

4. I worked a lot with CLIP (diagnostic tool for Renault) and you can see actual mileage in a lot of ECUs. If you have the possibility for connecting it to CLIP than you can go to ABS, UCH, even instrument cluster ECUs. Those ECUs and a lot more does stor the actual mileage of the car on them self.
    Also, there is mileage stored in keycard of the car, but you need reader for that.

5. It's being sold by a dealer and the pictures of the car have been taken at the same dealership. Also the different mileage they listed in the advert is also less than the most recent mot.

The mot before that puts the mileage at 36,604 in January 2020 and the one before that is 28,050 in December 2018.

The car hasn't been taxed since august 2020 so the fact that it's done barely any miles since the most recent mot checks out.

I'm going to take a snap on scanner with me when I go to pick the car up to see if I can get a mileage reading from somewhere on that. If I can't then I suppose I could take it to renault and have them verify the mileage on CLIP for me. If it doesn't match the clock then as long as I'm within the warranty period I should be able to go back to the dealer and get my money back surely

6. ABS