How to adjust the camber with top mount

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by oldschoolracer, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Guys,
    for my Megane 3 RS I´ve got a new KW susp.system with adjustable top mounts. When I´ve put the coilovers into the turrets, I found that it´s impossible to tighten the small countersunk screws what fixes the camber plate throu the round hole of the serial struts inside the turret. This hole diameter ist about 40 mm ( estimated) and much too small to access all the countersunks at least if the camber is adjusted to maybe 2°. Now my question is how you guys are doing this job, it would be possible to enlarge the hole with grinding it wider in order to access the countersunk screws. Thats really an dirty job what I honestly wouldn´t do on my 2016 car……to make it look professionel, a lot of work.

The other method would be to rely on the reference marks on the plate of the top mount and fix it outside of the car to 2°. Then refit into the car and hoping that the camber adjustment will be on target . The outside bolts of the main plate can be moved a litte bit inside the turrets holes of the body, so a small amount of camber changement could be corrected yet. If someone did enlarge the centre holes, some pics would be appreciated. Please tell me your practice !

2. Enlarge the hole - this is the only option to adjust camber on the car without removing to adjust

Work out what diameter you need the holes (from the top mount adjustment range)

Several options then - Hole saw, die grinder, hydraulic punch etc

Some tuners are offering this service, some are welding rings into the cutout or swaging the edge to add strength back in - CGR, Select, Beaniesport to name 3 or you could DIY

Attached Files:

3. Thanks a lot, I just found an detailed thread about not so long ago, from June. There was anything discussed already, thanks. I intend to fix the camber plate outside the car, have calculated what sliding travel I need for 2°, tighten it outside and put it back in….trusting to KW that the ref. marks are correct. Wouldn´t like to cut the turrets out. Anyway, thanks a lot.

4. Thec reference marks will not be that accurate but the bigger issues that the chances of both sides of the car being the same is almost zero. Once fitted they will need tweaked to even the camber side to side