265 How is the gear knob held in?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by massivewangers, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Strange question I know, but my 265 is fitted with the optional alloy gear knob and it seems to wobble a bit. I've never noticed it before. Do they all do it? Or is it coming loose? How is it held on?

You'd think even Renault would have worked out how to attach a gear knob by now...

2. Pull like your life depended on it

Juk3sy likes this.
  3. Just be carefull that you dont punch yourself in the face when it comes free.

bobsan, RHK3 and Juk3sy like this.
  4. I see. Wonder why mine is loose then

5. Maybe it's not pushed down properly?

6. I did try and give it a thumb this morning, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

7. it really does need a good tug, as said, be careful not to smash yourself in the face when it finally comes off

8. I have recently fitted an alloy knob to mine. As the others have said, needs a massive tug to get the original off. I suspect yours isn’t pushed down properly as mine is rock solid and improves the shift feel no end.

9. @Nicholas Weston which gearknob did you fit? The Renaultsport one or another brand?

10. 7BA1B4B8-2D91-4C2A-98EE-D2D75FC95A55.png This one. Bought direct from Renault

11. Sorry to be ressurecting this thread, but I recently purchased a RS knob and it doesnt seem to fit- does this look right?
    I'm thinking the bracket on the gear lever needs to come out?

Attached Files:

12. I fitted an alloy knob and I am sure it just fitted over the white moulding on the stick. I wonder if your new knob already has the same white part fitted inside it? In which case, either take the one off the stick, or lever out the one in the knob. Because the round mounting hole inside your knob looks very similar to the stick diameter!

13. exactly this

14. Cheers,
    you were correct. I essentially had two brackets and the one had to go. I initially tried pulling it off the knob because I thought I'd have more leverage and it'll be easier - it wouldnt move .

I noticed that the bracket inside the knob was already cracked, so I managed to pry and use pliers to snap it off and slowly yanked it out.
    Cheers for the speedy responses, a lot more helpful than the facebook groups :smile:

Attached Files:

BillyA likes this.
  15. Hi,

Sorry to ressurect this thread again. I have bought the OEM RS shift knob but when I pulled my stock one off the plastic tip that is meant to be on the end of the shifter stayed inside the knob. I cannot get it out. Does anyone know where I can get another one of those plastic peices?