265 How easy to change clutch

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Danny Danger, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Been doing work on the meg already. battery is out front subframes already removed. Does it make sense to do the clutch while it’s just a case of popping the shafts out. Cars on 50k and 10 yr old now. No history of clutch work.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

My clutch peddle stuck down when on track, so i thought it was on the way out, car had done over 100k, Car was one owner before me and every job done to the car was at Renault even down to replacing tyres, so i know it hasn't been changed before.

It will all depend on how you use your clutch, if you sit at a junction or at the traffic light slipping the clutch and not using the handbrake, then it might need replacing.
    Or if you launch it at loads of revs.

My Espace has had one clutch in 180k miles, think that was around 140k miles

3. ianplymouth

The gearbox is heavy, if yo are doing the job on axle stands i would say that you will need a spare set of hands.

If your using a ramp and a gearbox jack is available its not too bad a job.

4. On axles in the garage. I was just thinking preventative maintenance. Are you better buying new Renault oem or a luk. I know there both made by luk but does it matter. £180 oem or £130

5. ianplymouth

Buy a LUK clutch, but you need to get a good quality slave, there have been lots of issues with cheaper slaves failing, that then means gearbox off again, you also might not be close to home if it fails, its the only part i would buy genuine.

6. ianplymouth

Mk2 or 3 ??

7. On a mk3. I’ve bought oem slave. Do you need to buy new clutch bolts or re use them with loctite.

8. ianplymouth

Reuse them with loctite will be fine.
    If you want to check the dmf while its apart, it should move less than 8 teeth in total, anymore then consider replacing it, mine at 100k+ didn't need replacing and that was with 20 odd track days :laughing::laughing: