R26 Hollowing out the cat

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Nunez20, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Instead of a de-cat has anyone ever hollowed out the existing cat? so on a MOT inspection it will look the same and then just have the emissions to worry about?

2. Tbh mate with the location of the cat on a mk2 I really doubt they will be inspecting it to see if it's a cat! It's the emissions that you have to worry about that they fail you on.
    The new mot regs say that it has to be a standard cat in the oem location - I don't know any mot testers who go by this if it passes the emissions 99.9% are happy.
    If you ain't got a friendly mot tester to pass the emissions I'd say stay clear, especially with how much of a ballache it is to fit etc.
    If you do have a friendly mot tester why would he care what it looks like?
    If your worried about the mot could always get a sports cat? That what I did as my friendly mot tester moved and is a bit of journey to get too nowadays!

3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

My MOT tester thought mine had already been removed, even though it hadn't, it is now though have to see what happens in 3 months time :rolleyes:

4. I had that, the mot people didn't check it visually but it failed the emissions 3 times and cost me £400 to get it through, if you're doing it just buy the pipe!

5. ok thanks, I went to ask about a mid box cut and they just mentioned they could do the cat at the same time but was not sure really. A friendly MOT tester is my biggest concern might stay clear of de-cats

6. Yeah I made sure I had one before I did the decat!