High fuel consumption Megane RS265

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Pavol, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Hello guys,

I own a Megan RS 265 for a few months. I noticed that the consumption is too high. I traveled 900 km on the highway and the consumption is 10.2 l / km (23mpg). The speed was stabilized at about 140km / h. Can't advise me where the problem might be?

2. Maybe in your foot! I'd be happy with that fuel consumption from my R26!

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

3. I tried to go economical, the engine did not run higher than 3500rpm

4. I used to get about 32-34 mpg when sitting at 75mph (120kph) on a long journey, sitting at 87mph (140kph) would make a big difference. Also make sure your tyres are the correct pressure.

5. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

thermostat needs changing

Beau and manugtt like this.
  6. A thermostat fault is also manifested by a lower coolant temperature. However, the coolant temperature is OK. Do you think it could still be a thermostat failure?

7. E-A

E-A

I don´t think you have to worry about it to much.
    I do think Meg 3 RS is a bit thirsty when doing more than 100 km/h. I have never been sub 10 l/100 km in my Meg 265 and my commute is a B-road with no city driving.
    I get around 10,5 - 11,0 l/100 km on my commute if I don´t do absolute silly speeds everyday (just the 70 km/h speed limit x2 :innocent:). Positive thing i have noticed is that I can drive as fast as I want on my commute and it will not be more than 13 l/100 km which to me is really decent. ~90% 6th gear, 5% 5th gear.

Pavol likes this.
  8. I get between 27 and 31 mpg at around 70 mph on a motorway with cruise set. If I go higher like yourself then get about the same as you. Car is a 275. I had an Astra ZLET previously and thought that had a drinking problem but it was better than the Megane with approx the same power and only a 5 speed box .......... Around town, I get around 20 mpg.....