250 Hesitation

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Rojer, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with my 250. It only happens occasionally, but under part throttle just slowly accelerating the car can have a big hesitation. Almost like you are hitting a brick wall or just hit the brakes hard, it only happens for a second then the car returns to normal. It happened again tonight and I saw the engine light flick on then back off. Sadly my little code reader doesn't see any faults so I will get it plugged into a proper machine at the weekend. Has anyone had any experience of this before?

The car has the following relevant work done recently

* Genuine Thermostat
    * Genuine plugs gapped to 0.6mm
    * Genuine coils
    * Genuine fuel filter

The car has been mapped at Chris at EFI and funnily enough it did it on the way to his (car was running an Engine Dynamics map) when I was coming up the slip road. It has since done it a couple times since. I always run it on V Power and I have ran some Redex through a couple of tanks. Whilst at EFI, no issues were found apart from Chris needing to adjust the stock actuator as it was a little weak.

Mod wise the car has

* Wagner Intercooler
    * Pure Motorsport sports CAT
    * Pure Motorsport CAT back exhaust
    * EFI remap

Any help would be appreciated as I'm supposed to be going on a road trip in a couple of weeks!

2. Nick

Nick RSM Moderator

You need to get it scanned & see what code it’s spat out, over time it may start to cut out

Mine did this last August, I was at the Ring, most stressful drive home ever

My codes

2d00e09e2287d9bab12529f041901331.jpg

I changed the crank & cam sensors, in the end it turned out to be a break in the loom between the cam sensor & ecu

Rojer likes this.
  3. Thanks Nick, I will hopefully get it plugged in with Clip tomorrow. It was just a bit of a long shot to see if anyone else had experienced the issue.

Nick likes this.
  4. I had that exact same issue on mine (rs250 engine) and it turned out to be the 02 sensor. To begin with it was just as you said, intermittent. Eventually got a lot worse before it ever threw a code. May be that?

Rojer likes this.
  5. Funny you mention that, after I noticed the first big hesitation we plugged it in with Clip and got some codes, but we were unsure if they were just stored old ones. So if the same codes return we know that they are active.

DTC061A61 - COMP
    DTC042009 - Catalytic Converter Function Fault
    DTC013011 - Upstream Oxygen Sensor Circuit

I did mention to the garage this morning about the O2 sensor, but he said that Chris monitors long term fuel trims so even if the sensor fails and the car wants more fuel it should reference the table and say no.

Also the CAT fault was showing as active in Clip so I asked Chris about it just to make sure he mapped the secondary sensor out and he said he did so it is a bit strange to be honest. Hopefully tomorrow will bring answers and it could just be the O2 sensor which would be a massive relief!

6. I had Chris map my car too. But it did the exact same thing.

Fingers crossed it is that. I went down route of new coils, plugs, thermostat, temp sensor and finally revisited coils and changing them around it kind of forced the code - no idea how. But was sorted after that.

7. +1 on o2 sensor - exactly the same symptoms on my R26. Annoying because I replaced plugs, coils, all sorts before trying the sensor.

8. Not great news sadly, driving to the garage it did it again. Plugged it in and the only code was COMP, same as the one I posted before. When you click into that with clip it just says has the owner reported an issue if yes refer to technical. If no replace injection computer.

So we think it's going to be a break in the loom somewhere. Ran out of time to check fully today so left it at the garage. Hopefully it's an easy find and fix!

Kev is going to reach out to Renault and hopefully they can point us in the right direction.

9. Just to update this, the loom has been stripped quite far back and no issues have been found in the common areas. Generally with Clip if there was a wiring issue it would say which circuit. Andy at Engine Dynamics had a car with the exact same code and they tried everything but they ended up replacing the ECU and that solved it. I have another ECU coming tomorrow so fingers crossed that does the trick otherwise I'll have to order a new loom.

10. Nick

Nick RSM Moderator

Clip didn’t with my wiring break

11. New ECU done the trick. Been driving it for a few hours and no issues so seems to be sorted. He mentioned the battery is a bit weak so I'll replace that.

manugtt, Rensport225 and BillyA like this.