(HELP) Throttle sticking MK3 (250)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Daniel Godfrey, Dec 2, 2018.

1. So the last few times I've driven the car I'll literally blip the throttle on a downshift or just change gear and the car will take the revs right up to the limiter and hold them there! The only way to stop it is to turn the car off !

What is going on ? Any ideas?

2. Mine did this, only way to stop it was to switch the engine off. Mine needed a new throttle pedal which was around £120 from Renault if I remember.

3. Thanks for the quick reply.
    Easy job to do yourself? So it's an issue with the pedal sensor then ?

4. two 10mm bolts and unclip the harness, 3 min job

5. Yeah, throttle position sensor I think it was. The garage fitted it so what bonsan said for fitting.

6. Mine has been playing up for the last couple of outings, wasn't funny today on a wet Silverstone, need to get it sorted for Bedford next week

7. This and sticking thermostat’s seems to be cropping up quite bit on mk3’s what sort milage folks having this happen??

8. Did my thermostat before i left for Silverstone, my fuel consumption has gone up by 4 to 5 mpg on a run :laughing::laughing:

My car is now on 103K miles

bobsan likes this.
  9. mine is 68k

bobsan likes this.
  10. Okay, i think i have solved my sticking throttle peddle.

First a went to Renault, gave me a price of £165 with discount £147 :cry:

So i took mine out, 2 bolts with 10mm heads and disconnected the plug.

I could feel there was a tight bit in the movement of the peddle when moving it though its motion.

There is a square ish shiny plate, using a fine screwdriver pop the plate out, under it is the pivot for the peddle.

I applied some XZ1 friction eliminator fluid to the shaft end and let it seep into the bearing.

Then if you turn the unit over, there is a raised cap looking thing, i drilled a small hole in the top and dripped in some more ZX1 into it, moved it through its full range a few times and its all nice and smooth now.

bobsan likes this.
  11. Yes did same some months back, didn’t drill hole though but bearings easy to get at and sure beats buying new as don’t think anyone does aftermarket

12. Τhanks guys.. Very useful info. It. has happened to me twice during last year.

13. My pedal was smooth though? And it didn't get stuck in a position when it revved right up until the limiter? The only way to stop it was to turn the car off or lift the clutch up quickly......

14. Okay, not sure about that one then, mine was sticking and i had to lift the peddle with my foot or stamp on it and lift off quick.

Since i oiled it, i have driven to Bedford, done a day on track and home again with no hint sticking at all :laughing::laughing::laughing:

15. Did your accelerator repair fix work long term by just oiling it?
    thanks

16. My pedals fine, now believe there’s two issues:
    1 pedal sticks mechanically so oiling bearing should fix it
    2 the sweep track inside pedal mechanism is worn so would need replace whole pedal

• Thanks for reply. So yours was sticking and you oiled it and it was okay? we have a track day tomorrow and have oiled ours and it seems okay but would not like it to stick again.

17. How are you having a track day tomorrow ????????

18. We are in Australia. we have done the hard lock down.

19. Ahhhh thats why, we are still not allowed to do trackdays yet, hope it won't be long.

What track is your nearest then ???
    I bet you have to drive a long way to get to a different track

20. Think you will be in lock down a long time unfortunately .. We had 3 months of lock down.
    88klm to track which is good. Not the closest. We have a racing track called Sanddown which is located in an outer suburb of Melbourne. Has noise restrictions because it is now an inner suburb.
    Anyway, did your oiling of the accelerator pedal work safely?

21. Thats not far :laughing::laughing:, my closest is 2.5 hr drive away, furthest is 12 hrs.

Yes it did work, spray electrical cleaner in through a hole and penetrating fluid on the external moving parts and bushes

22. That's a bit of a drive especially with the price of your petrol. We have a few tracks to pick from fortunately but yours always look more interesting.
    Thanks for the info on the pedal. We have oiled it up and it appears much better. We haven't removed the plate but we might to ensure it gets in. Where did you drill the hole? In the middle at the top?

23. We have a good selection of tracks i would say, some are a bit of a nightmare like Brands Hatch indy, its to short with too many corners, so really only two two places to overtake, its much better if its wet :laughing::laughing:
    The rest are pretty good to be fair.

Fuel is a bit pricey but we have no option, does get a bit much when you average 8-9mpg :sob::sob:

You really need to take the peddle out, its two bolts and the electrical plug, then you can drill the top just take care when drilling so as not to damage the inside electrical bit.

24. You wont be allowed out for awhile by the looks of it. 8 - 9 mpg? Is yours modified alot or just what they use when used in anger?
    think we have found a fix for the pedal- we have borrowed one from a standard x32. It seems to work. 'Different part number but all appears to work okay. Just haven't got the nice stainless finish on the pedal'- bolts up okay.

Renault parts are rare out here just like Renaults

25. So you dont think i will get to Spa and the Ring for Easter then :laughing::laughing::laughing:

only when used in anger, yes it is also modified, even when the engine was standard it would only return about 11mpg on track :laughing::laughing::laughing: on the road it would do 30-32mpg happy with that :sunglasses::sunglasses:

I looked at a new peddle for mine and it was over £100 so tried to fix it first and that seemed to work.

26. on subject of throttle pedals should also note there's another 'throttle' on intake manifold that 'mirrors' the cabin pedal and also has sweep track that potentially can wear out and give sticking throttle syndrome

ianplymouth likes this.
  27. didn't really think about that one :worried:

28. quite good to remove throttle body and not open the motor or electric part but generally clean with spray both sides the throttle valve that way keeping it opening/closing smoothly, just need replace gasket
    although tempting try avoid pushing open throttle valve with finger

29. Hi,

Mines currently sticking too, ok if I’m pootling around but if I toe it, it feels like cruise control has come on and the thing just drives itself.

apparently there’s an issue getting the part from Renault and they don’t know how long that will take. Any ideas?

30. I found the best way around this problem in the short term was to stamp on the peddle half a dozen times bofore starting the engine.
    The next option is to remove the peddle (2 bolts and a plug) then carefully drill a small hole in the top and spray in some electrical cleaner.

Liam90 likes this.

31. Thanks for that.

if this is a common problem with the pedal itself, will replacing with a new one simply just risk it happening again further down the line?

bobsan likes this.
  32. if this is going to become more regular issue and if reno cant supply replacement might be good for folks like Ian to post up some work arounds they've tried successfully, having sudden jammed open throttle obviously shit scary and dangerous

33. I have the same problem. Could anybody upload some photos of DIY repair?