HELP. Squeak coming from the front end

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by lm290, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Hi Folks,

I seem to have a squeak coming from my front end of my R26 and was wondering if someone could have a listen and possibly suggest, or pinpoint, what it is ? Could be connected but my steering have felt really off as of late. I feel like there is some disconnect, if that makes sense, and the car seems to follow dips in the road a lot more than it usually does and feels like it has lost some mechanical grip somehow. The tyres are pretty new and have plenty of tread so its not that.

Here is the video; the high pitched squeak is best heard right at the beginning.

[video=youtube;ZTzDD8Cqbcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzDD8Cqbcc[/video]

Any help would be great!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  2. Is it related to wheel speed?. Might possibly be the brakes? Does it stop when you put your foot on the brake?.

3. Im 99% sure your problem is the passenger or drivers side hub bearing has gone. This causes a washer to work itself loose Nd the rattle/squeak you are hearing is most probably that. The steering will feel kind of like it doesn't correct itself at times and it's not as free as it should be..am I right? I had this on mine and whipped the wheel off, and the discs and calipers and tightened the bolt back up. My steering is still strange as I still haven't ordered a new bearing but the rattle/squeek has stopped!

4. Thanks gents. My front pads were and advisory on my last MOT so that might be the cause so I'll check out ur theory Joe.

I had a feeling it was a bearing if I'm honest. I know it's not safe driving in a knackered bearing but at the moment I don't have the time to book it in. If it is a bearing should it last for another couple of weeks when I'm more available to take it in ? The squeaking only started yesterday.