Help needed on gearbox removal

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TurboJ, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Megane RS 225 '06/'07.

Trying to remove the gearbox to gain access to the clutch and DMF.

I just noticed the instructions say you have to remove the starter motor first - makes sense - but there isn't room enough, I think, to remove the starter without removing the catalytic converter before that.

Even the starter heat shield doesn't seem to hane enough room around it to be taken off without at least removing the second lambda sensor.

Seems very complicated. Even when checking the official instructions Renault tells you to remove the catalytic converter to be able to remove the starter motor. Do you really have to do all this just to do a clutch job!?!?

Maybe you can just remove the bolts and nuts on the starter and have it stay where it is while you slide the gearbox off?

In any case I'm frustrated as I thought I had read the instructions enough times, but this wasn't mentioned before I checked the specific entry under "starter motor removal".

Any help is most highly appreciated!

2. You ‘remove’ I.e, undo the bolts and leave it there.

tof73 and TurboJ like this.
  3. Yes the starter just sits there, slide the gearbox off! Starter will still be there when you put gearbox back on, believe me! :-)

tof73 likes this.
  4. Confirmed :smile: The Renault repair manual was moer than vague again so I had to ask around. But indeed you don't need to remove the starter motor, only its mounting bolts. Thanks BTW!

5. A little tip on supporting gearbox and lifting it for anyone else doing it on a megane.
    Bought one of these on Ebay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-S...551611?hash=item1ccfcf44fb:g:4S8AAOSwYItcwEfJ
    But, with plastic wings was a bit dubious about using it, but, i took off one of the winding parts with the red knobs on it, and threaded it through a hole in the metal battery tray, then just looped the chain around the gearbox and hooked it over the V shaped bottom part of the winding bolt thingy, then just wind gearbox down, window gearbox back up, worked great!
    Obviously use a jack or whatever or friend to support engine side of gearbox a little.

6. Or pull the whole lot out :laughing::laughing::laughing: and do it on the floor in comfort :sunglasses:

7. Yep, a lot to be said for that method too. :-)