250 Help/DIY For upright/hub carrier removal?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Bovien, May 11, 2019.

1. have searched without luck

Can anyone list the steps to remove the hub carrier? Can't figure how much is needed to actuate remove to get it off.

I'm replacing the lower joint which has some play...

2. If it's the lower joint then the track control arm is all you need to remove

3. Really?
    Looking in there, I thought I would need to remove the hub carrier to get to press out the joint.

How would I go about getting the lower joint out with everything else attached? I see the screw that clamps around the joint stud, but to actually get pressure in the ball joint, I have no room due to drive shaft and all?

4. Ah, but I'm talking about the swivel one

53259C7E-2D24-4269-AA2B-803739B62222.jpeg

Sorry if I was unclear. This is why I'm guessing I need to remove the entire upright.

5. Ahh okay then yes you need to remove the hub.

Jack up, wheel off, disc and caliper off.
    undo the track control arm and anti swivel link.
    remove the steering track rod end
    take off the hub nut, push in the drive shaft to make sure it is free, or else the shaft will come out of the gearbox and the oil will run out.
    then undo the strut clamp bolt and pull it out, the hub should then slide off the strut.

Bovien likes this.
  6. Thanks a brunch!!

7. Slacken the hub nut first while the car is still on the ground so it can be asily removed once the car is jacked up

8. I’m going to be refreshing all mine soon. That Alan bolt looks like a nightmare to remove on the lower ball joint.

9. It will either undo easily or it will be seized. It's only a pinch bolt so it can be drilled out and a bolt and lock nut (nylock) fitted in its place.

10. Good point. Thanks!!

11. So, got all the way to releasing the upper ball joint from the hub.
    It won't budge. :-(

Any clever ideas?

12. Mine was seized solid in it. I used the angle grinder and cut the underside lip off the ball joint. Then knocked it out from the bottom. You have taken the circlip off the top

13. What do you mean 'circlip'? The one around the boot?

Just to clarify; I'm talking about this

C0D5542E-DA97-4A37-8902-4BA84F9B7E84.jpeg

14. Yeah, the circlip that is on top of the balljoint.

15. Aaah.. I get it. Sorry, I was unclear. I'm not trying to remove the ball joint, that can stay put. But I'm trying to release the swiwel part of the hub from the upper ball joint, with the rest of the hub assembly/upright still in the car.

I've been trying to push with a breaker bar and force the swiwel hub with a hammer (aluminium, so that's hard without damaging it)

Could also leave the hub connected to the ball joint, and slide it out, if that is possible after removing the circlip. Buuuut I'm guessing it won't be easy forcing the ball joint out of the upper part of the main upright?

16. I just took it out in one unit with the suspension. ( suspension bolt seized solid) so had no choice

Have you undone the Allen key bolt that pinchs the lower ball joint

17. Yeah, only the upper ball joint I need suggestions on separating.
    I don't want to remove it unless necessary, just separate it from the hub

18. Have you managed to do it yet

19. No. Hoping for suggestions before Thursday where I will have time again

helldriver likes this.
  20. did you manage it?
    I have the exact same problem, upper one is stuck on both sides and I need to replace the driveshafts both sides.
    What a stupid construction...french....

21. if you can remove the shock bolt completely you may be able to slide it down and out. I had to remove it in one entire piece and smack the shock out with a hammer to get it too shift.

22. Ok, so I just did the front end. I would remove the strut completely, it will make it easier. To get the top pin out of the swivel hub, its pretty clear, undo the allan key bolt, tap out with hammer. The bottom one is a bit more tricky...not really, just need to know what to do. Take the bottom bolt out. Take a 1/2 drive socket wrench extension (or any metal rod) and put it through the hole on the bottom and pound the back out of the bearing. The problem is that there is a small metal sleeve in the bottom section that requires a special tool. This small sleeve sticks up a bit literally holding the hub from sliding out. If you are replacing the hub, or putting in a new bearing, this won't damage anything but the bearing.

23. oh, if it wasn't clear you will need to remove the hub completely anyway to replace the bearing