HELP - car won’t start....

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by moono16v, Feb 27, 2018.

1. hi all need some help car has never done this before but this morning in the snow my meg won’t start.....

It had a brand new battery about 6 month ago....all electrics work car turns over but won’t fire up and when I attempt it I can smell really really strong smell of petrol. Any ideas????

2. Smell of petrol, because you are flooding it

moono16v likes this.
  3. Anyone anything else? Anything I can check?

4. Mate, theres loads of things it could be.

Have you got a multimeter? If so, check the battery voltage as despite being a new battery, the cold can break them. Get some jump leads from another car onto yours and see if it starts. It doesnt take much deviation in voltage to make the car not start

The smell could be flooding, but it could be a fuel leak. Check under the bonnet and see if there's anything obvious.

Is there an immobiliser? Check the fuse to see if its blown.

Hopefully its a simple fix

5. There’s nothing obvious under the bonnet that I can make out. Not got a multimeter but I’ll get my dads jump leads and try that.

If it’s flooding the engine what are the dangers as I don’t want to keep trying it.

Immobiliser?! Had it 6 years not a clue haha

Thanks tho I shall try that.

6. If it doesnt start after using jump leads, If you are able to, remove the plugs and holding the top end with pliers so you dont burn your fingers, burn the excess fuel off over a gas stove or lighter etc then wait for them to cool and replace them.

If it still doesnt work, leave the plugs out overnight to allow the excess fuel in the cylinders to evaporate.

If it still doesnt work then im afraid im out of ideas

moono16v likes this.
  7. Could it be some sort of cold start sensor, temp sensor type thing?

8. @odinson or @-Jamie- you guys must have an idea.....

Right been back out to look over the engine bay and it stinks of fuel!!

The only thing I can notice that looks like it’s not normal is this...

The first spark plug looks to be wet / moist outside of it....and then whatever the thing I circled in red is full of black residue?! Not a clue what it is tho??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Elliott

9. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

That's only the engine breather, has nothing to do with the running of the engine.
    The coil is about 100mm long, so the business end is buried in the head.
    If you keep cranking it over and it won't start but is pumping fuel in it will kill the catalytic converter, either pull out the fuel pump fuse or disconnect the pump in the rear.

10. You mean disconnect it and then try and start it??

Where is the fuse to pull and how would I disconnect the pump in rear? Sorry for questions just need is sorting tonight really....

11. ianplymouth

You can try and start it with the fuel pump disabled, first i would check the pump is supplying fuel first, turn the ignition on hold the start button in for about 10 seconds but don't touch any peddles, once this happends the steering should unlock and the dash lights come on, push the button again after 5 seconds max and then disconnect the fuel line to the rail.
    fuel should now be pressurised, just be careful as it will spurt out.
    I am not sure where the fuse is on the MK3, there is a plug by the fuel tank, under the seat, under a cover then you will see the top of the fuel tank, there should be a multi plug there, disconnect it.

If there is pressure then next remove one of the ignition coils, remove the spark plug and put back in the coil, plug the coil back in, get someone to try and start it, (make sure the spark plug body is touching the rocker cover) and check if there is a spark.

If there isn't a spark it might be a crankshaft position sensor, that is located in the bell housing of the gearbox, it's near the bottom and held in with one bolt, think 8mm head, remove and make sure the head is clean.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  12. Thanks so so much for this!!! That’s a mega reply, going to try all this tomorrow now but that’s great!!! Will post back.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  13. All sorted.... a clip that had come disconnected only noticed due to it pissing fuel out when I was trying to turn it over.
    Clipped it back on fired up first time!

[​IMG]

Mikey4410 likes this.
  14. How did that come loose!?

15. God knows!!!!!

Mikey4410 likes this.
  16. Fuel supply incoming feed, highly unusual that type connection to come apart, I’d be inclined try see if could do it again

17. When I pushed it back in it’s just a push fit fitting and pushed straight back in?! Very very strange!

18. Daz

Daz

you changed injectors recently? I'd obviously not clipped it back on properly after taking the fuel rail off!

moono16v likes this.
  19. The green button not knackered on it?

moono16v likes this.
  20. I’ve not changed anything other than the thermostat and didn’t take that off?

21. Worth checking to see if the O-ring is split or not.

If it pops off on a hot engine, you're in trouble.

22. ianplymouth

It should click in and you can here it quite easily

23. Ye that’s what I mean it’s in fine now.

24. Keep an eye on it.

25. Yeah if that leaks again when hot you could end up with a fire, wouldn't be the first.

Take care!

26. Anyone here had any success in solving a cold starting issue on the RS250. On a cold engine after 10+ hours left unused, I’d go to switch it on and the car will start then a second later will die down and switch off, second attempt the car will try to stay alive for a second or two then shut off again. Once the car is on after 1 or 2 tries it will not have the starting issue until again it’s been left unused for many hours. The car runs fine and and no codes are showing. Thought it may be a faulty air intake sensor but it’s been changed. Ive also done a firmware update due to crap fuel in Australia. I use Shell 98 but i have used BP 98 initially when it started happening. Ive cleaned the plugs with electrical cleaner. Im thinking its something to do with fuel pressure but...no clue.