Hello from Romania

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Dan21st, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Hi guys, I've recently joined the club with a 2012 Megane RS 265.

Previously I had a 2011 Megane GT 160 dCi, and despite it being the same shell, the RS is miles better in every way, except the fuel economy, nonetheless it's a price worth paying.

The car has 120k kilometers and it seems to have been well looked after by the previous owner.

Here are a few snaps I took while going out for a ride.

VAxkuyG.jpg

FOnuA3u.jpg

matt e likes this.
  2. welcome along Dan, got any plans to lower ride height or engine stuff in future?? also what roads like in your part world ?? worth a driving trip ??

3. Hey bobsan,

I don't plan on doing any serious modifications in the near future, at most I'll be installing some spacers to push the wheels out a bit.

In regard to the roads, the road infrastructure I'd call good at best, not many motorways throughout the country and usually going places takes longer than usual due to traffic and single lane highways. But when it comes to mountain roads there are quite a few roads that are worth it. The most famous ones being Transfagarasan (featured in a Top Gear episode a few years back), Transalpina and Transbucegi. These roads go over mountain passes and are open only during the summer, but you can tie them together with a roadtrip through Transylvania which would make the whole thing worthwhile.

4. That’s good info, what’s policing like are they watching the popular roads much, plus what speeding penalties like ? Can you loose your car if caught at silly speeds or is it just a question of money

5. The police won't impound your car for speeding, at most you will get a speeding ticket. There are no fixed speed cams, so it's just police patrols that tend to hide on busy roads in places where the speed limit is lower than the designated speed limit for that particular type of road. There are also mobile radar units that usually patrol busy road segments that can get you. Most police cars are marked and they are white Dacia Logan or Volkswagen Polo, but from time to time they use unmarked cars too.
    Using Waze to avoid police is reliable in most cases since a lot of drivers tend to report the police traps within the app.
    You may also get away without paying the fines, given the fact that you have a foreign driver's license, but don't take my word on this, do some research before going this way.

6. Nice, sound v good and more lenient than rest Europe

Along with radios and sat nav’s, What’s app, Waze and What3Words are pretty essential to any well run motoring group, will deffo look now at run through your country, thanks