Hello from Dorset, Bought my first RS - 250 cup

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by RS250 castle combe, May 3, 2020.

1. Welcome to the club. What part of Dorset you from? My mum lives in Weymouth and I’m down there quite often visiting.

2. 5 sets of wheels so I guess you run the 255s on the 8.5j ? I’m sure my Original set on my car are 8.5 J et45 , I must check that Out .... Can’t believe what your running as wet tyres , as I do a lot of YouTube research on tyre reviews, I bought the Goodyear Asymmetric 5s For the bmw , think I done 3 track days with them at Combe in the wet and the levels of grip was insane , they are so good I Persuaded my mate to get some for his well set up St170 ... I went along with him at Combe on storm Dennis day We shared the driving On his Nicely set up ST 170 And again it was just awesome driving on those tyres and as you can imagine it was Horrendous up there that day

3. 5 sets of wheels so I guess you run the 255s on the 8.5j ? I’m sure my Original set on my car are 8.5 J et45 , I must check that Out .... Can’t believe what your running as wet tyres , as I do a lot of YouTube research on tyre reviews, I bought the Goodyear Asymmetric 5s For the bmw , think I done 3 track days with them at Combe in the wet and the levels of grip was insane , they are so good I Persuaded my mate to get some for his well set up St170 ... I went along with him at Combe on storm Dennis day We shared the driving On his Nicely set up ST 170 And again it was just awesome driving on those tyres and as you can imagine it was Horrendous up there that day
    Hi, and thanks . Yes I’m more from north Dorset , Shaftesbury

Gareth likes this.
  4. The original wheels are 8.25 wide and et68, 245 is the max for them really plus that size are more expensive.

I was very pleased with the asymmetric 3's and the reviews said the 5's were better again so i thought i would try them, they will also be my road tyre, they went on after the engine build so not really had a chance to push them yet.

There's the rainsport 3's as well, there also very good, now they have the 5's so later they might need testing, i also have a set of full racing wets but not had the chance to try them either.

I did Spa last year, it started to rain at the end of the day but couldn't be bothered to swap out my 595's, there not that bad but obviously not as good as the asymmetric's or Rainsports.

5. Nice video , some really smooth driving there, fair play ! and what an incredible track with so much run off area,
    funny hunting those Porsches down :expressionless:
    think I have almost learnt the track just by watching all the laps you done :grimacing: this track looks so much fun , even in wet conditions, those up hill and down hill sections look amazing and if that was on the 595s they must be loads better than Ns2r in the wet ... like you say think asymmetric 5s will take some beating aside from proper wet tyres .. or maybe MPS4s a close match ..

6. It is a lovely track Spa, been there a good few times in the last 4 years, food and beer is a bit pricey but it's well worth doing at least once in your life, or maybe twice :laughing::laughing:.

That video was with me running 595's, did the siting laps so you cant really push it, thought i would give them a go as it was looking like the weather was going to get better.

There's a group of us going out in November (Hopefully) so save your pennies :laughing::laughing:

I did Brands in the wet, was running the asymmetric 3's and no one past me all day :sunglasses:

7. To be honest, if my 250 is up and running all good , I would love to come out there , need to renew my passport first as its 12 years out of date :smirk:

after watching your video in the wet I can well believe that :sunglasses:

if things do start getting back to normal ... I really want to do Castle Combe and Thruxton first as a test to see how the car performs once the remap is done..
    I also had the 28th of march booked at Combe which obviously got cancelled so I am in credit for hopefully one of there first opening days , was booked with Trackdays

8. There is a different group of us doing the ring next Easter, if you need more time :laughing::laughing:
    Think i need to sort my Passport next year :astonished:

I need to get mine mapped as well then i will book a trackday, Could do Combe, its been a while :confused:

Thruxton is fast but it kills front nearside tyres, you really need to change them over at lunch really.

I have a credit for MSVT as Oulton got cancelled 5pm the night before :astonished:

I did Combe with BHP a bit more money but less cars on track and no real waiting to get out on track.

9. Ok yeah all depends on my car being reliable .. if so I'd like to try different tracks for sure !

Spa dose look the favourite choice for first aboard trip ..

that's interesting regarding tyres at Thruxton , will keep a close eye on that if and when I get there ..

BHP must Google this , last year I was doing pretty much every last Friday of the month at Combe and that's pushing it with the pennies :blush:

10. There is a section in here for Trackdays, if you do any, put up the event and date for when you going.

A trackday at the Nurburgring is also a great trip to do

A guy i know went to Combe in 2018, is was supposed to be going as well but with car issues had to cancel.
    He said he waited 40 minutes in the queue to get out on the track .

Thruxton has a very abrasive surface, good for keeping corner speeds up but wears the outside edge bad.

11. More than welcome to come out with us to Spa...we’re a friendly bunch aren’t we Ian!

2nd time out there this year, first time in the Megane. Can’t wait, got everything crossed for it to be on....

RS250 castle combe likes this.
  12. all apart from James :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm going to take some real alcohol with me, i'm not drinking that Disaronno crap again :sob::sob:

Benno996 and RS250 castle combe like this.
  13. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Welcome bud, I'm from Shaftesbury, there's 3 of us here that all do track days in our Meganes, where abouts do you live ? perhaps we could have a mini meet when we are allowed out again.

14. Hello and Thanks ! yes I am actually from Semley , I have heard a lot about you from a certain electrician friend ?? :grimacing:
    yes would be great to meet up (when possible) crazy that there are 3 Meganes all from Shaftesbury all doing track days that's awesome !! I have seen at least 2 different Meganes around here ....

~Shaun~ likes this.
  15. thruxton always loads one side of the tyres.if you watch the BTCC,they are always getting blow outs,and tyres rolling off the rim when they use this track.

16. -only done a few laps at this track back in 1992 on a bike, never in a car , I remember it being fast !

17. .0
    thx for info
    This sounds a costly place to go, blow outs :astonished: shame as I am so close to it as well , all the same this is definitely on my list of tracks ,
    I also noticed it seems a tad cheaper than castle combe , maybe that's why

18. Ooohhhh its fast, Church at over 110mph is interesting, garages are really small though, but the guy that does the sound check is cool, lets you get away with a bit over :sunglasses::sunglasses:

19. Last time i was there a guy in a BMW I8 binned it, burst a tyre slammed into the barrier shot cross the track then into the one the other side :laughing::laughing::laughing::sunglasses:

20. all I remember is a really long back straight leading in to a sharp hairpin bend that I kept over shooting , certainly need some good brakes , but don't remember any names of corners tbh

bet that bmw was a mess :dizzy:

you say about noise check , I seem to remember at combe my megane was 98 db

21. Not long after the start of the back straight there's a right hander that is Church, then there's the long left then into the chicane.
    The guy looked at it and said a couple of hundred quid would sort it out, i bet it was close on £5/7k.

The noise limit for Thruxton is 90db

22. you say the guy lets you get away with a bit over , how much are you talking 1 - 2 db maybe ?

23. Yes i would say, he's an old guy but a realist :laughing::laughing:
    be nice to him and he'll either tell you its fine or try and make it a bit quieter, one guy gave him some grief and he had to go home :laughing::laughing:

RS250 castle combe likes this.
  24. ~Shaun~

~Shaun~ RSM Club Member

Good old DK !, There's actually 4 up here, a yellow trophy, then myself and one mate with a white one and another with an o/g the same as yours. We'll sort something when everything gets back to somewhere near normal lol.

25. DK :grinning:
    Yes thanks, look forward to that !! be really interesting to see what different mods you are all running, as I am new to the Megane world :expressionless:

~Shaun~ likes this.
  26. Welcome, might see you at Combe some time as i only like 15mins away. I think i know of the previous owner... remember seeing him post about it being broke at one point..

27. Thanks ... yeah Hopefully when it's mapped , should be good to go . my car has definitely seen a lot of track action with a few turbos ... I take it you been there before then ?

28. Yeah been there a fair bit. i've been a regular at their race events for years now. done a track day and a fair bit of session at the action days in my old EP3.

29. That's cool !
    must be great living so close ..
    what I find crazy is in the 7 times I've been there (6 in a little bmw ) 1 in my 250 mostly Fridays, I have only seen one other mk3 Megane which was a white 250 from Reading, really nice guy not sure if he's on here .. then i come on here too find loads of Megane owners that go there :grin: and 3 on my doorstep :blush: which is brilliant ..!

30. I know part of the problem is that you can't get track day insurance at Combe, doesn't bother me but i know someone that won't go for that reason.

Also it's a bit like going to places in your local area, there's a few around here that i have never been to, Combe is my closest and only been once, Thruxton is about the same, been there 3 times i think, Anglesey i have done about 10 times

31. That's interesting about track insurance , I didn't know that , so I guess you can get insurance at other venues ?
    Anglesey must be fun if you been there 10 times :expressionless: is that an airfield ?

32. The other one you can't get cover for is the ring, you can get some sort of insurance but not the cover you get at other tracks and it's expensive.
    Think insurance is between £30-40 a day.

I don't think so, but might be wrong, could have possibly been an airfield, great view there as well.
    Weather can change in minutes as it's right on the coast

33. Ah you are on about Joe i think. i know him. Yeah ive not done a day in the Megane, only in EP3.

34. Ok thanks for that info !! must check Anglesey out , sounds good.

35. It also doesn't tend to be that expensive, accommodation is a little bit of a problem, but i found a pub that's cheap and a cracking breakfast included.

36. Don't know his name tbh but he always parks near the Café end of pit area.. seen him there on 2 different days. also where I have my round air scoops (just below bonnet) his was almost completely cut out into two big rectangle holes .. another thing he had was a light weight battery relocated in rear of car and a few other interesting Mods !
    yeah those EP3s are good round there .

37. Which side are you? I’m up in Malmesbury.

38. My 225 running about 230-240hp, on Ns2r's
    Gets good around 20 minutes :sunglasses:

39. Im Melksham mate

Benno996 likes this.