heavy breaking grinding

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Azagedon, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Few times I've had to suddenly stop, I've felt and heard a grinding nose when really standing on the brake pedal... mostly under 30 mph.
    Pedal is firm, still pulls your face off but when it grinds you really feel it in your foot.
    No lights flash up indicating ABS, pads on the outside appear new (no idea about insides) and discs look healthy.

I can only assume I need new pads as the inners are shot?

2. Meassure the pads, less than 6mm u need to change them

3. Bit tricky to measure with the wheel on ha, took a pic if that helps?
    [​IMG]

4. Looks ok for me, from the plate to the pad 6mm

5. Thats why I'm confused, it doesn't feel normal... unless abs doesn't turn on at low speeds, which I doubt :/

6. Could be brake disc deformation, also check the back pad it could be finish

7. It sounds like the ABS to me mate. When it makes the grinding noise does the pedal pulse and go solid then back to normal?

8. The only way I can describe your symptoms is if you've ever been on a track or just a spirited B road blast with the ESP on, gotten a little out of shape and the car has corrected you, then it makes the same noise. You should try hard braking with the ESP off and see if it still does it which I don't think it will.

9. It's not the same noise as esp, as it comes on quite frequently in the wet on bends lol. It's hard to say if it judders as its low speed but does sound more like metal grinding than skidding abs. After the grinding the feeling of the pedal goes back to normal yes.
    I'll try with the esp off on the way home from work tonight :smile:.

10. Definatly sounds like ABS/ESP, almost sounds like a broken ABS ring (I know this runs off off the bearing on the meg) but there might even be a build up of rust/dirt in around the sensor

11. I see, cheers Mike. When really pushing 70 and braking hard its totally fine (and safe!), MOT is due soon so it will probably get picked up on that I guess :smile:.

12. No probs, let me know how you get on if turning the esp of helps etc.

13. Will do. Does the esp button turn off everything, including abs?

14. I'm not 100% but I don't think it will turn the abs off but it will rule out the esp at least.

Sent from my ST26i using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

15. I think i get the same thing on a certain hill near me with a dip over a drain right next to a set of lights, i only ever get it their when braking for the lights and my nearside front goes into/over the drain so i'm pretty confident its just the abs/esp kicking in.
    Literally had my mot about 2 weeks ago and nothing was picked up - flew through

16. In the dry I turned off esp and had to literally stand on the brake to make it do it, and the pedal was really firm. I guess I was worrying over nothing lol.