Heater still cold

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Craig1978, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Hi I have replaced all my coolant with antifreeze and bled the system and the heater still won't blow out any warm air. It has a new matrix and is now doing my head in. Could it be the thermostat? But the car never runs hot according to the gauge any help would be great.

2. Anyone??

3. Is the bottom hose getting warm

4. I can't tell I can't get down to it. Only 1 pipe to the heater is hot tho its the one with the bleed screw in it.

5. Have you used the bleed screw/nut in the thermostat housing? Sure theres one there too.

6. Yeh tried that but get no air out of that at all. The bleed screw going to the matrix I can remove it and nothing comes out until the car is revved. It's had a new water pump but I'm not sure about the thermostat.

7. When you Rev the car with the bleed screws closed does the heater get warm for like 5 mins then go cold again or just nothing at all?

8. It does nothing at all its stone cold.

9. The pipe on one side of the matrix is stone cold when the others a toasting? Are all the pipes on one side hot? What about around the thermostat?

10. Open the bleed screw in the pipe and blow into the header tank. You need coolant to squirt out of it. Then let it idle for a bit (about 5 minutes) with the cap off. Then see what starts getting warm. Keep the heater turned to hot and the blower on speed 2. Then give it a bit of raised engine speed maybe 1500 -2000rpm and stick the cap on. The other pipes should then start getting warm along with the heater. Otherwise you do defo have a circulation issue.

11. I didn't check around the thermostat housing so will try all these things Tom and let you know. Thanks

12. Checked the circulation by blowing down the header and the water poured out the bleed screw. But once the car was warm the pipe with the bleed screw in it was only mildly warm and also the coolant in the header tank was cold. But the car was hot and the temp gauge was up to normal. Still the heater is freezing.

13. Must be the water pump that's faulty. Is the water flowing into the header tank from the return pipe or is there nothing coming out?

14. I can't see anything coming back in not a lot anyway. It was supposed to have had a new water pump when the cambelt was done. Could it be the thermostat?