Headlight query

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by adampadum, May 8, 2024.

1. Evening all,

I've not long picked up a Mégane 225 Cup. It's been a fantastic car so far and has been a proper work horse from track days to shipping the family round.

I have noticed one of my headlights have become dim, so went to replace them yesterday and noticed the connectors were not what I was expecting. I understood that all cups came with HIDs, as the car has projector style headlamps, headlight washers and the auto leveling sensors fitted, however when I went to fit the bulbs the connector looks similar to a H7 bulb. I've traced the cabling back and can't find any sign of a ballast underneath the headlamps.

There are currently LED headlights fitted by the previous owner, but wanted to fit the correct bulbs as the LED bulbs don't seem to have very good reach down the road at night.

Would someone be able to provide advice on whether or not if all cups came with HID lamps as it seems to have everything required besides the ballasts and the wiring in the headlamp.

I've attached some images to hopefully help my query.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Afaik, hid’s were an optional extra, all phase 2’s have the projector style lights, doesn’t mean they are hid though.
    The ballast packs are built into the underside of the headlight and believe the plug onto the back of the headlight also has an extra pin on it for the levelling sensors.

3. Thanks for the advice Poppaboost. I thought it was one of the tell tale signs that the car was a proper cup, which is why I assumed it had them fitted from the factory.

I have removed one of the bulbs to get the fitting type, but I've never seen this fitting before. I have a selection of bulbs in the house, including H1, H4 and H7 but none of them fit the headlamp unit, unless I'm missing something.

Attached Files:

4. Is that plug on the bulb or from the headlight?
    Where abouts are you based?

5. That plug is on the bulb, it looks similar to a H7 connector, but its a bit too wide.

I'm based in Cardiff

6. Bit too far away from the midlands to drop by then:tearsofjoy:
    What does the plug from the headlight look like then, should be an h7 I think?

7. Sorry about the late reply, ive been away all weekend.

The Midlands isnt a short drive from Cardiff :smiley:

I managed to take a little look at the headlights last night, and found out the previous owner has butchered them slightly, which is what has made things tricky to work out what fitting they were. The previous owner had taken out the wire clip on the back of both of the headlights and glued in some sort of proprietary bracket for the LED bulbs that are in there. So have ordered some new H7 LED bulbs for the headlights as one of them have failed and hopefully can replace the removed clips for the bulbs so i can fit them properly.

I have also ruled out that the car had xenons from the factory as it has a headlight adjuster in the car, and as far as im aware Xenons/HID's from the factory are auto adjusting.

Hopefully this will be the end of my lights woes, but ill report back once i have the new bulbs installed.

Thanks again for the advice.

Poppaboost likes this.