Head work

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by markc, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Anyone done, or think it would be worthwhile having some proper porting and polishing done on the 2.0T ? I know it can be done for around 400 notes, probably more with rebuilding costs. I wonder how much power a good RSTuning Stage1 1-1.1bar boost would give following the head work.

2. The work would probably give a few bhp, but surely a hybrid turbo at 0.9-1bar would be a more cost effective mod?

3. This is it Steven, I don't know if it would ? How much is a Hybrid conversion in total. I think far more than 'a few bhp' will be gained with good porting.

4. I've seen n/a engines gain 30bhp following work. What's possible with forced induction.

5. I have been thinking about some head work myself, on some engines it can bring quite a few extra horses. I have no idea about the renault engine or whether it is worth it with the turbo system, but surely it could be less expensive than going down the hybrid route and avoid having rebuild the entire engine?

6. I think a Hybrid turbo (exchange) is around £750. But the total cost of a Hybrid conversion I don't know.

7. Depends on mods already on the car, but decat, intercooler and hybrid would make 300bhp and maybe pick the bits up for £1k.
    headwork will be around £400-500, plus head removal, timing belt kit and waterpump, so potentially £1k in parts/labour, then find out the turbine housing on the standard turbo is so restrictive it just strangles the engine and makes no power.
    my high lift cams dont help make me any extra power on stage 2 or hybrid setup.

iv got a spare cylinder head :wink:

8. Cheers Steven. Maybe it will, maybe it won't make enough power to be worthwhile. I'd like to hear from someone who has tried this though. Do you know what a hybrid conversion costs (exchange basis) ?

9. I dont think anyone has headwork done except Jonathan, but hes running a much larger turbo and 450bhp, so he doesn't count. Lol.
    you need to send your turbo off and i think the cost is £595+vat to have the work carried out.

all i know is my standard turbo was so restrictive it created a bottle neck and wouldnt allow the cams to flow more power.
    That was 278bhp.

10. And if I did go hybrid (next year). I would like to try it on the stock IC and Cat. Does 290bhp sound obtainable ?

11. Who is doing the work on the Turbo for 595+vat ? Are they working both inlet and exhaust ports ?

12. The turbo will be stripped, fitted with a 19-20T cartridge instead of the 14t unit, fitted with a 360degree roller bearing, then they will machine the compressor and turbine housings, replace the compressor wheel with a more efficient unit and adjust the cutback on the turbine housing, then reassemble and balance, etc.

the intake temps will be too high, so a uprated cooler will be required.
    decat will be needed for more than 280 i think, but eltel has more info on exact power flow of the standard exhaust system.

13. Std exhaust with hybrid, bigger injectors, airbox mod, Forge recirc, Forge intercooler & 3" decat mapped will flow 294bhp @ 1.5 bar.
    Personally as I found out if you add a 3" exhaust you can get 297 @ 1.2 bar so better for the engine.

14. Thanks for the info there guys. I really didn't want to decat although a could fit a cooler if it's required. What about leaving the stock injectors ?

15. Just leave it at stage 1 completely std so no need to add anything upgraded around 260 bhp and more than capable. When asking for more power the cost per bhp after this is not really worth it.

16. Porting is the last thing you want to be doing tuning wise. £ per ftib its a poor return.

17. I have done the head mod.Everything with 3 angle valve job to ported intake and exhaust ports.It is hard to say how much I have gaind as the exhaust housing on the turbo is really to small to test te flow on the head with hybrid.
    That is why I'm saving for the GTX2867 :smile: glava megane rs.jpg glava megane rs2.jpg glava megane rs2.jpg head start.jpg

Few pics:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  18. Sokol, how much would you guess/estimate the head work gives ?

19. Hard to tell.I would say that on this turbo the housing is the limiting factor not the head.