Head gasket worries!!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by RenSportR26, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Anyone had any problems with head gaskets on the r26? Mine is a 58 plate ph2, with only 38k on clock, but i have dreaded signs of gasket issues... white steam out exhaust, funny smelling steam at that, and a little tiny bit of mayo looking whiteness on oil cap. Heaters work great, and isnt using much water! Any help or advice to what the problem may be would be much appreciated!! :worried:

2. 2 words

3. Mark black

4. Two other words. Cold weather.

White Steam due to cold weather
    Tiny bit of mayo is condensation.

Using water/coolant ?
    Engine lumpy ?
    Erratic idle?

5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

lol bit of trek for him

i think most people on cliosport in scotland use

http://www.swrautos.co.uk/

6. What Andybond said, I see loads of worried car owners this time of year! Especially considering the mileage. Do you mainly do short trips?

7. My old car used to get mayo every winter.

8. yeh, i hope its just a bit of condensation, cars been in put away in garage for the last 2 months and not really run,so last wkend,

changed plugs for new oem ones,

changed oil...shell helix ultra 5w40,

changed oil filter for new oem one,

swapped out air filter for a ktr panel filter,not to keen on it,feels a bit cheap!

got coolant, type d, but aint got round to flushing system and refreshing fluid. upon taking the plugs out, 2 of them were a bit rusty, cylinders 2 and 3, 1 and 4 were good,but the worry was that they were ground to points?!!

So the overall picture is, spark plugs were all really worn, plugs 2 and 3 were rusty,a liitle white residue on oil cap, and a fair bit of funny smelling steam from tailpipes?
    Fair chance it the gasket i would think? :worried:

9. No , I dont ! :smile:

Its cold weather , and a paranoid owner :wink:

Get it sniff tested if you are really worried.

10. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

take it for a long run and see if it disappears

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Get down to Stirling and get Michael and the guy at SWR to look at it